Patch Cables for E.A. Melody

-DC/AC-

• Members

I'm in the process of upgrading all my cables (well, not really, I haven't started yet) and after seeing the GP issue on cables I think I'm gonna get some EA Melody cables for guitar>pedalboard, pedalboard>amp, and the effects loop but I also need some good quality, soldered patch cables. What would you recommend? I need something that doesn't take away any tone, and that I can't screw up by building it (so I'm not going to).

• Members

well i think you are going to do fine with that cable. However, i think you are making a mistake by listening to a magazine. You are going to pay big and getting raped out of your pocket.

Your other options are some of the "boutique" cables from lava cable for example. Again, you are going to pay big, $18 per patch for something like a lava mini elc. On the lower end, you can get the mogami patch; those are like $11 per patch. The mogami would be my recommendation because of price and the fact that i don't believe in the hype of expensive cables. You are likely going to be listening to the price more than the cable ;)

my ultimate rec would be to do it yourself. Don't sell yourself short by thinking you can't do it. Soldering a cable is easy as pie and it is a good skill especially for a guitarist to have that will last for your lifetime. The diy is easily $7 per patch with an excellent cable that will last forever. You can customize the length to your liking. There are many benefits.

• Members

I use EA Melody and love them. Much clearer sounding that my planet waves, monster, or canare's. I also got some of the Monorail cable to use with George L plugs I already have but haven't hooked them up yet. I think the Melody cable is worth the money, but I'm not sure about any cable over $100 being much better than a Melody.

• Members

^That's good to hear. I was a bit skeptical about high-end cables but after I'd actually heard some of my own cables take away my high end I knew I had to have an upgrade.

But back to patch cables. I took a long look at Lave Cable's website and found a lot of guys using Canare GS-6's or Cardas Audio Golden Cords so I'm leaning towards them. However the Golden Cords are substantially more expensive so unless someone can convince my the Canares aren't very good I'm going with the GS-6. I'd also love to hear more about either of these if someone has used them.

Also I looked about ordering patch cables and wasn't sure about the length. How is it measured? Is it just the actual cable or does it count the plugs too.

• Members

^Yeah I already did and it recommended EA Melody or EA Monorail for patch cables, but the Melody patch cables are like $28 bucks each, which seems ridiculous, and the Monorail seems pretty good but I'd rather do no assembling and just leave it to the pros.

Archived