Do the only thing big muffs do is

Still.ill

• Members

make your guitar sound its with distortion, except tone knob on guitar all the way down?????

i just got a big muff-- and im amazed at how how close i get to the same sound (of big muff) with no pedal at all--- just by turning tone knob(on guitar, not on pedal) all the way down and putting amp distortion--

http://www.zshare.net/audio/1111416840505214/

first part is with big muff, than at around 2:07 is amp distortion+tone knob backed all the way down

also please excuse crappy playing

• Members

They sound totally different to me in the clips. To a person that doesn't play guitar I guess they'd sound pretty close but I don't think they are alike. But hey, if it works for you then great, sell your muff and save the money!

how do they sound different? like could you use words to describe-- i guess the muff sounds a bit raunchier but i think thats because its louder

• Members

so say you could get a similar sound to a muff by using some amp distortion, scooping your mids and turning down the tone knob on your guitar... would you want to keep your rig setup like this at all times?

eQ was at 8-4-10... not exactly scooped mids

• Members
eQ was at 8-4-10... not exactly scooped mids

Ya, but hes saying. Even if you could make your rig sound like that Muff, why would you want it to always sound like that or have to mess with the eq on your amp and the tone on your guitar as opposed to stepping on a switch. If this works for you then save the money, i just dont get it :idk:

• Members

Ya, but hes saying. Even if you could make your rig sound like that Muff, why would you want it to always sound like that or have to mess with the eq on your amp and the tone on your guitar as opposed to stepping on a switch. If this works for you then save the money, i just dont get it
:idk:

eh i guess... ill keep the muff

i was just wondering if i had got another distortion pedal how much it would have a new sound

• Members
eh i guess... ill keep the muff

i was just wondering if i had got another distortion pedal how much it would have a new sound

Is english your first language? Just wondering and no offense :)

Well the Muff is a fuzz and will sound a bit different from any other named distortion pedals. It all depends on what kind of sound your are looking for, i would suggest getting a multi-FX pedal and using it for a while and finding what settings you use the most then if you want to step it up a bit get the pedals that create the tones and settings you liked from the multi-fx

• Members

The thing I dig about the muff is its simplicity. It doesn't color your tone, it doesn't add to your tone. It hijacks the {censored} out of it and forces your guitar to sound like it's signal is being smashed through a goddamn muff pedal. There ain't no mistaking a muff for anything else, and that's just awesome. Go ahead, try to play with the EQ of your guitar or the amp. The muff just says "{censored} off pal, this one's mine", and smokes another cig.

Archived