OT: Movies with good soundtracks

MrNixon

• Members

one of the most overlooked genres/sections in the record store are soundtracks. Its funny how much great music could be found in movies.

List some soundtracks that are worth getting!

*Chelsea Walls* - Strange, artsy-fartsy movie with an awesome soundtrack penned by Jeff Tweedy. Amazing tracks on here, most notably "Jealous Guy" covered by Jimmy Scott, and an awesome performance of "The Lonely 1" by Robert Sean Leonard and Steve Zahn. Look it up on youtube. So good, this is what sparked this thread.

Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels - Great comp of soul, r'n'b, britpop and reggae

Worth it for "Spooky" by Dusty Springfield and the OG "Police & Thieves" by Junior Murvin

Death Proof - Tarantino has great taste in women and music. Here you can find "Baby It's You" orig. by The Shirelles, performed by a band called "Smith". Heady soulful singing.

Bodysong/There Will Be Blood - Jonny Greenwood needs a social life. These two albums showcase what happens when good opportunities spawn great work.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Life Aquatic- Has some sigur ros and other cool stuff, the portuguese acoustic guitar guy is sick

Waking Life- if you've seen it you know what I mean, very cool instrumentals

Waterborne - the movie isn't great but the soundtrack composed by dredg is sweet

I know there's others that I really like but this is all I could think of

• Members

I'm going for unexpected.... and popular....

Mr. and Mrs. Smith.... I've never bothered to see the movie, but the songs on there are pretty great.

The Wedding Singer... for a mix of random 80s hits from various different styles, the two-disc soundtrack flows really nicely.

Austin Powers: IMOM... there are a couple of weird gems in there.

Reservoir Dogs... not a ton of music, but each song gains a new meaning after seeing it in the context of the scenes.

PCU... ONLY for the Mudhoney "Pump It Up" cover...

• Members
absolutely. some weird {censored}ing {censored} going on in that soundtrack.
:freak:

Seriously, I've never heard such a wide variation of music in one movie. Happy carnival music, weird forboding stuff, crazy awesome intense horror music, and some GYBE for good measure (off my favorite album no less!).

• Members

Seriously, I've never heard such a wide variation of music in one movie. Happy carnival music, weird forboding stuff, crazy awesome intense horror music, and some GYBE for good measure (off my favorite album no less!).

I was watching it and East hastings started playing. {censored} blew my mind.

• Members

I was watching it and East hastings started playing. {censored} blew my mind.

I heard East Hastings for the first time a few years after I saw 28 Days Later. I was listening to The Sad Mafioso and thinking, "wait...I've heard this before". Took me three days before I remembered where from.

Archived