What's the point of fuzz?

• Members

I know it's probably not for my type of music [metal] But when i think of fuzz i think of that horrid distortion muse gets that is just dirty raw and kind of gross to my ears. though it might be cool to others, is that what fuzz pedals are for? :poke:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what's the point of anything?

The point is certain types of music work well with fuzz, you might not like that music, but that doesn't make fuzz pointless to people who do.

60's garage punk wouldn't be what it is without fuzz.

• Members

whoa! what's 60's garage punk????

gimme an example!! you mean like Velvet Underground or Silver Apples?

LOl, stuff like 'the litter' (my fav's) and 'shadows of knight' 'the sonics' that kind of stuff. :thu:

• Members

See, I won't touch a distortion pedal. They sound like crap to my ears. They have no character and only seek to emulate (badly) an overdriven amp. I would rather have the real thing.

Now fuzz pedals are a different story. You can't get those tones from anything else, and they are quite glorious in front of a loud, clean tube amp. :love: Fuzz be good, nay, great.

• Members

But when i think of fuzz i think of that horrid distortion muse gets that is just dirty raw and kind of gross to my ears. though it might be cool to others, is that what fuzz pedals are for? :poke:

Jimi Hendrix!:mad: You like the Patridge Family Muzak huh?

TGIH!:evil:

• Members

But when i think of fuzz i think of that horrid distortion muse gets that is just dirty raw and kind of gross to my ears. though it might be cool to others, is that what fuzz pedals are for? :poke:

when you grow up and stop listening to poodle hair music you will understand:thu:

• Members

Melx, what do you think of The Horrors?

They supported the Sonics recently

I dunno...I'm not really a fan. All the modern stuff just seems a bit false, the original 60's stuff sounded the way it did because they weren't very good musically and they had {censored}ty cheap gear...not through choice, I'm sure they all wanted to be as big as the who! I just love the authenticness (lol) of it, the only band to get anywhere near capturing that magic since for me is the Cramps. :idk: I just love those rough old recordings.

• Members

I adore how easy it is to get a good "fuzz vibe" going. Distortion pedal will almost always annoy someone - it'll be too "fizzy", too "gainy", too "technical-prog-black-metally", or whatever.

"Fuzz" at 100%, just start banging... If you're not very good, it'll sound "indie" and people will comment on your tone: "Very interesting sound!" If you're very good, prepare for favorable "Doyle Bramhall / Eric Johnson / Lenny Kravitz" comparisons.

• Members

But when i think of fuzz i think of that horrid distortion muse gets

hmmm, "fuzz some it, Ive noticed, is a bit of a generational thing. Im from the gen where a "fuzzbox" and "fuzz" is a more general term for, well, harmonic distortion generators

I mean take, like the old Anderton projects -

superfuzz - comparator based

tube sound fuzz - saturation of amplifier stages

quadrafuzz - diode clipper

3 different things from one guy that get labelled "fuzz"

Archived