It really irks me on an effects board that distortion/OD threads....

Axe_34

• Members

....attract several posters (you know who you are) that pop in just to say, "Well, I only use my amp's distortion."

I always read them in my head with a snooty Thurston Howell III accent.

It's really annoying. Not all of us gig and some of us have children so we all can't crank our amps like you, okay douchebag?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

There.

I feel better now.

• Members

I use my pedals and have never said anything like that , but to tell you the truth, i love my Budda SD 80 Distortion and my Tverb's.

That said, i love the colors pedals give me and there is always one occasion to use what you need at the moment.

• Members

My dirt sound is never just pedals, it's always me using my pedals into my amp in some state of overdrive/distortion. And that's not even the "only way to fly" in my opinion.

We should all be much more pluralistic than we seem to be on this board, I think... The dichotomies to which we cling are strictly constructs, and we would be better off transcending them to realize the potential of things we disregard.

• Members

We should all be much more pluralistic than we seem to be on this board, I think... The dichotomies to which we cling are strictly constructs, and we would be better off transcending them to realize the potential of things we disregard.

Reported.

• Members

It depends on your amp--two of my older vintage amps are louder (140 watts, 105) and they have alot of headroom and bigger transformers, so they're not getting the transformer sag and the early breakup. An old Traynor Reverb Master from 1975 that I just got, it has a master volume, and even at "1", it breaks up almost too much! So I have to roll back the preamp gain, because it's a really gainy EL34 amp. Generally I like the clean sound to be clean and then do it with pedals, but this one sounds so good like it does with the mild overdrive with the preamp cranked. I use different amps for different things. There's no right or wrong, it just depends on what you're trying to achieve, and if it's good enough for your applications, that's what matters. Tons of guys sit up in an ivory tower and judge what's "good sound" with an iron fist, before they've even used the equipment.

• Members
It depends on your amp--two of my older vintage amps are louder (140 watts, 105) and they have alot of headroom and bigger transformers, so they're not getting the transformer sag and the early breakup. An old Traynor Reverb Master from 1975 that I just got, it has a master volume, and even at "1", it breaks up almost too much! So I have to roll back the preamp gain, because it's a really gainy EL34 amp. Generally I like the clean sound to be clean and then do it with pedals, but this one sounds so good like it does with the mild overdrive with the preamp cranked. I use different amps for different things. There's no right or wrong, it just depends on what you're trying to achieve, and if it's good enough for your applications, that's what matters. Tons of guys sit up in an ivory tower and judge what's "good sound" with an iron fist, before they've even used the equipment.

:thu: great amps! I have a Traynor Custom Reverb from the 70's as well...and yeah at "1" it starts to break up and at "2" it is loud as hell! when you dime these things they put out a good amount of dirt for underground amps, the Bassmaster was apparently almost spot on with some marshall heads too

Archived