So I bought my 4th ipod today.

Loobster

• Members

TedTalks?

They're lectures from TED.com, but now on podcast form. You can get them from the iTunes store for free, I'd definitely recommend checking them out. They are really very interesting and have really influenced the way that I see the world now.

• Members
They're lectures from TED.com, but now on podcast form. You can get them from the iTunes store for free, I'd definitely recommend checking them out. They are really very interesting and have really influenced the way that I see the world now.

This sounds so wrong in so many ways.
But if you like it, good for you.:thu:

• Members

Cool. I'll check it out.

• Members

Let's hope it doesn't go the way of the previous three.

Really? I've had the same 20G iPod for about three years now with no problems at all.

I still also buy CDs and even LPs and then just download them to my iPod. I am old fashioned, err... ok, just plain old!

• Members

..:I recall having one of them there ipods (it was a first gen shuffle).When people moved out at my dad's aprtment complex, he found it in a desk drawer outside. Really.
..:Mine only broke when a friend unplugged it while I was uploading music, and then I didn't set it back up corrrectly. Then I reformatted it, used a different software, enjoyed it for a few months, and finally used it as a flash drive until the USB connector popped out. Super glue: came out again. Duct tape: held, and then finally died.
..:Moral: stick to hardware (CDs, casettes, 33's...). Only use an ipod when you have money for one. By the way, I own only one DVD, sixteen VHS's, a plethora of casettes, and numerous books. The rest of my family is more up-to-date. Oh, and my sister used to have an ipod, too.

I still also buy CDs and even LPs and then just download them to my iPod. I am old fashioned, err... ok, just plain old!

..:You DL'd an LP to your ipod? I must know your secrets, oh one of the vinyl.

• Members

Ummm... so why do you keep peeing on the electric fence? After the 2nd one failed I would have moved on to a different company.

MY bro has had his MP3 player for 4-5yrs now. It's been stepped on, dropped in a glass of water, dropped on various floors and once from a 5ft drop, and it still works like the day he got it.

Indeed. After two iPod's (the last of which in 2006) I gave up. I now have a Toshiba Gigabeat. The only shame is that it uses Windows Portable and runs through WMP, both of which are absolute dog{censored} in every way. Oh well. It is built like a tank (kinda - nothing too traumatic has happened to it yet, despite being crushed in a reclinable chair and smashing 1/4 of the screen into a grey mess) and plays nicely.

• Members

I couldn't imagine being without an iPod now, it's essential for a long train or bus journey.

I also listen to a lot of radio shows that I download, maybe even more so than music. I still have my 2004 first gen Mini, it's 4 GB but that's all I need. Even if I fill up the hard drive I find I still just listen to the same old favourites anyway.

The battery had to be replaced a month ago, and I go through a lot of headphones - usually I fall asleep listening and end up stretching and damaging the leads in my sleep :) I've rarely managed to fix the leads, they're too thin to solder it seems.

So much better than the 90 mins of music I used to be restricted to with a Walkman. The only problem is it often needs charging just when I want to listen to it - I should get one of those external battery packs.

• Members

if you like spoken word - there's a Ton out there - both free and commercial

audible is kind of the 600 lbs gorilla for audio books (they have some free material - been with em since the beginning - have abt 1200 audiobooks from em...Listening to Phil Lesh's biog right now)

i'm shwing 861 free programs right now

bbc radio, studio 360 - a show abt the arts

is archived (as well as a lot of other NPR syndicated stuff)

Sci-am, WSJ, nyt, etc all have audioo editions

"rules for the Rvolution" is a "new-media' IP podcast

'Escape pod" is a CC sci-fi podcast

Darker Projects is amateur sci-fi-Fantansy audiodrama (not my fav, but it is what it is, and the production value is good for its level s adly, seeing Ear Theatre has been gone for like a decade)

wiretap was an interesing project abt 6-7 years ago that's been relesed for free

http://transom.org/shows/2002/200201.shows.wiretap.html

oh crap - the list goes on and on, there's really good stuff

Archived