How cheesy is the Boss DF-2?

adamflybot

• Members

I was recently offered a trade involving the DF-2 Super Distortion and Feedbacker. Now, I'm not a fan of distortion, but the controlled feedback option has me intrigued. With a low distortion setting, would it sound OK with a nice fuzz pedal, like a Screamer Fuzz? I'm afraid that a simulated feedback will always sound 1980s cheesy...

• Members

I really really really want one just so I can get my boris on.

I had the same idea. Don't bother. Just get a nice Muff and turn your amp up loud. An RE-20 wouldn't hurt, either.

I don't know where this started, but I've read in several different locations that Wata used a DF-2 and they named their Feedbacker album after it, but I've never once seen any pics of it on either of their boards. She's usually got a beat to {censored} DS-1 and a couple of Muffs.

• Members

I actually like it. It's one of those pedals that you're really not going to use in every situation, but it's great for adding noise to loops or recordings, or for whatever else. The distortion isn't that bad either. It's not gonna replace "real" feedback, but it's a cool noisemaker in it's own right. If you can pick one up on decent terms I'd say go for it.

• Members

i've wondered about this pedal.... does the feedback sound anything like the feedback on the ps-2 when on one of the pitch shifting settings?

i kinda always figured it was kinda like that metallic ringing. if so.. i already have that effect (and i like it ;) )

• Members

It's basically a DS-1 with a feedbacker in it, but that feedbacker is mighty cool. I've had them since they first came out, hence the Super Distortion & Feedbacker name versus the Super Feedbacker & Distortion, which came about because DiMarzio threatened to sue.

If you plug the DF-2 into a tuner, you can actually tune the feedback to a given note, like an E or an A for instance. This makes a huge difference in how the pedals sounds while playing through it. Keeley did do some mods to these for a few people too, when he used to do the Seeing Eye Mod, not sure if they still do them, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

TheGrooveking

BOSSPEDALS50.jpg

Archived