OT: Has your amp ever not been loud enough?

Lanefair

• Members

I remember playing a gig with an AVT100 once. It was miced, but I couldn't hear it, and I pretty much cranked the amp until the input tube was OD'd to pieces.

Then I owned a DSL100 half stack, usually turned up half way for most things.

Now I own a Peavey Classic 30, and I never have to turn it up past 8, I even went unmiced in a 200+ function room with it.

I want to try a 15 or maybe 5 watt amp now just to see how low I can go. I'd much rather be diming it. I was playing a really glassy venue the other night and my amp was on 1.5 wtf.

• Members

I have a 50 watt and it doesn't get pushed at all. I am glad there is a master volume so I can a least push the tubes.

When I had half stacks, I seem to remember getting drowned out often. Until I got a Triple Rect. But that was way too much sound.

• Members

I usually have the opposite problem. People are always telling me to "turn it down!"

I've owned a number of amps ... and none of them have lacked volume in the settings I play in. From 100 watt Mesa Half-Stacks and 50-watt Marshall combos to my current 15 watt Fender.

• Members

I have a fender 1x12 ss amp and i can't usually turn it up past one and a bit before it gets stupidly loud, never had the problem of being too quiet but then it is 90w or something stupid like that...tried the smaller versions of the amp but it just didn't sound as good

• Members

I remember playing a gig with an AVT100 once. It was miced, but I couldn't hear it, and I pretty much cranked the amp until the input tube was OD'd to pieces.

Then I owned a DSL100 half stack, usually turned up half way for most things.

Now I own a Peavey Classic 30, and I never have to turn it up past 8, I even went unmiced in a 200+ function room with it.

I want to try a 15 or maybe 5 watt amp now just to see how low I can go. I'd much rather be diming it. I was playing a really glassy venue the other night and my amp was on 1.5 wtf.

NEVER.... EVER because of the amp itself, though I've been told by idiot sound guys to turn so far down, that it was unrealistic on stage, to hear over the drums.

• Members

Both my Laney GH50L and Peavey 5150II were both sometimes too quiet, but that was when I was running through a 2x12 and trying to compete with a 4x12. Also in a metal band.

In a different situation, I took my LC15R to a noise jam and drowned out a 50 watt 70s JMP MKII combo, a 250 watt 1x15 bass combo and some sitheap Fender valvestate type affair.

Depends on the application whether you're trying to cut through or match 'oomph', in my opinion.

• Members

Only once or twice. The worst I can remember was taking a 7w Matamp C7 to a soul gig in a school hall - 3-400 capacity and sub standard PA. Fortunately I discovered I couldn't hear myself during the soundcheck and got my wife to bring up my Hot Rod Deville. Best sound ever on the clean channel. Big and fat and totally clean. Had the volume up to about 10 or 11 o clock by the end of the night - the only time ever and it sounded great!!!!

• Members

my ac30 was way loud when i played this outdoor gig last week. awesome.

and at this club last friday, it was toooooo loud. had to turn down twice haha.

my 72 bassman ten wasnt loud enough usually. sucked cuz the tone was amazing. thats the only reason i sold it.

• Members

That's can't be accurate considering wattage isn't a measurement of volume, and different numbers and sizes of speakers contribute a lot more to volume change than wattage.

*EDIT* not to you, Vince. One above.

True, but wattage is a measure of power applied to speakers, and the more power given to speakers the more sound pressure is created which in turns increases the perceived volume. Given the same speakers, what bloops said is absolutely true. You need to increase the wattage through the same speakers tenfold in order to sound twice as loud. FACT.

Archived