The Long Journey of 20 Different Hi Gain Dist. Pedals (Toneczar Openhaus Review)

Kayzer

• Members

After the Openhaus stuck into German customs for around 2 week i finally received it!

The Box was not opened by customs and every thing was packed very well and survived the 4000 miles travel from US to Germany without any damage!

First of all I have to say that I tried something around 20 Hi-Gain and Metal Pedals in the last 2 Years!

I started with Stock Pedals like the Digitech Death Metal, Boss MT-2, Zoom Tri Metal, Line6

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks very nice, I'd love to get my hands on one of these. I don't play that much super high-gain stuff these day, but maybe I would if I had something that nailed that tone. :)

I'm expecting some clips when as soon as possible. How's the tour going, by the way?

edit: how long is the waiting list for the Openhaus?

• Members

Yeah, I went through a bunch of pedals myself:

Digitech Metal Master, Tubezone, Maxon ROD 880, Maxon ROD 881, Dano FAB Metal, SubDecay Blackstar, Tonebone Hot British, EHX Nano Metal, Rockton Utopia, Behringer X-Vamp, Digitech Grunge, Ibanez SM-7, Digitech RP 5, Digitech GNX 3000, and the Rocktron Metal Planet

As far as individual pedals go

In the end the Rocktron Metal Planet was the best metal, Tonebone Hot British was (is) my favorite all around high gainer, the Maxon ROD's were damn good (espicially Lynchy), the Blackstar was cool and old school, the others had the high points and low points.

The Digitech RP-5 wins in the High Gain dept, but I am using the GNX 3000 primarily now for that sounds

All that said, no pedal is as good as a high gain head. Why spend $200 on a pedal, when you can get a head for a little more. The Ultra 60 head I have will blow any pedal away when it comes time to crank.

• Members

{censored}. I so want one of these. Now I want one a little more. I have tried a bunch of the metal pedals you (Kayzer) have tried and rejected, and I rejected them aswell. If the Openhaus is doing it for you, maybe I should try it out too.

{censored} and bollocks. That is one {censored}ing expensive pedal. Maybe I will pull the trigger anyway.

• Members

{censored}. I so want one of these. Now I want one a little more. I have tried a bunch of the metal pedals you (Kayzer) have tried and rejected, and I rejected them aswell. If the Openhaus is doing it for you, maybe I should try it out too.

{censored} and bollocks. That is one {censored}ing expensive pedal. Maybe I will pull the trigger anyway.

IMO the Openhaus is more worthy than the Box Of Metal and the Price is nearly identical! 365 for the BOM and 375 for the Openhaus... And the most of the toneczar pedals are not more expensive then the zvex stuff! Except the delay of course...

• Members

IMO the Openhaus is more worthy than the Box Of Metal and the Price is nearly identical! 365 for the BOM and 375 for the Openhaus... And the most of the toneczar pedals are not more expensive then the zvex stuff! Except the delay of course...

That's a bloody good point.

Screw it, I'm ordering one.

• Members

That's a bloody good point.

Screw it, I'm ordering one.

:thu::thu:

...and the Openhaus is more usefull than the Box Of Metal!

IMO the best Hi Gain i ever used!

Waiting Time is approx. 3 - 4 Month and Ed is super nice!

But you should know that the openhaus is designed for NON MASTER VOLUME Amps...!

• Members

:thu:

...and the Openhaus is more usefull than the Box Of Metal!

IMO the best Hi Gain i ever used!

Waiting Time is approx. 3 - 4 Month and Ed is super nice!

But you should know that the openhaus is designed for NON MASTER VOLUME Amps...!

Cool. I liked the BOM, but it was not really metal enough for me. It had a fuzzy/sludgy edge which I did not expect or want.

3-4 months is a long time but hey - I can live with it.

I have a non master volume amp, so that is fine by me. Thank's for the heads up though :thu:

I have tried and been disappointed by a lot of metal pedals - I wont list them because I will :cry:. I really hope this does it for me.

• Members

Cool. I liked the BOM, but it was not really metal enough for me. It had a fuzzy/sludgy edge which I did not expect or want.

3-4 months is a long time but hey - I can live with it.

I have a non master volume amp, so that is fine by me. Thank's for the heads up though

I have tried and been disappointed by a lot of metal pedals - I wont list them because I will
:cry:
. I really hope this does it for me.

I am also really dissapointed about the Box Of Metal but maybe i find a usefull spot for it! otherwise i will sell it in the next month!

Just get on eds liste for the Openhaus and as i wrote above i will make a Openhaus Clip and maybe a ZVEX Box of Metal clip when i am back from UK...

• Members

yeap, no pedal can touch the massive tone of these amps.

I dont know what should be massive on the stock distortion of the Rectifier! i always have to use a OD-1 or a TS-9 to boost even the red channel to get the sound i want and even this sound could be better... but maybe i am more into Death Metal and Technical Playing than the most people here...

Archived