the more i play cheap guitars, the more i dislike my gibson

• Members

6 months ago i bought a hamer standard (import) for like 300 bucks and put gfs's in it. it outplays my gibby v easily and sounds great doing it. last night i went to a guitar shop and played an epiphone gothic v with a floyd and the neck felt way better than my guitar too... what's the deal?

• Members

6 months ago i bought a hamer standard (import) for like 300 bucks and put gfs's in it. it outplays my gibby v easily and sounds great doing it. last night i went to a guitar shop and played an epiphone gothic v with a floyd and the neck felt way better than my guitar too... what's the deal?

there is a BMW article/thread on here... same answer

• Members

I don't know and I've never played a Gibson V. But I've had a number of lower end guitars and many have been just fine. But none of them can hold up to my Gibson LP Jr.

I think it's just a matter of finding the guitar that just works/sounds right for you whether it's high end or low end.... (or maybe you got a lemon?) :idk:

• Members

Hmmm... I'm the opposite too, my gibsons feel almost like they have their own personalities, whereas all the cheap guitars I've owned felt lifeless. :idk: Sure, most of the cheap guitars nowadays play nice, and even sound nice... and Gibsons aren't the perfect guitars that their price would lead you to believe they should be. But man, if there isn't something about both my Gibson's that is alive then I don't know what it is... This is all my personal life experience with guitars, and I'm sure there are some awesome epi's, squiers, etc. out there too.

But I guess I got lucky with both my musician's friend gibbys, as they are both as perfect as can be IMO.

I'ma go sniff a cork now :wave:

• Members

I had an SG Standard that did absolutely nothing for me. It was gorgeous, though - Natural Burst. I sold it for some recording gear and got an ESP LTD400AT as a replacement. I don't love that guitar, but overall I find it comparable in terms of tone and playbility IMHO.

But as some of you know, I absolutely love my Ibanez AS80!

• Members

i don't think a higher price exactly means a better guitar

i've had expensive custom shop guitars that did nothing for me while my mim strat has often been a great guitar

but still, i've got an avri strat that i totally love

i think you have to try has many as you can and then find one you'll like

if it's cheap and you like it, fine

if it costs more and you like it, fine

:D

• Members

i bought an american STD Tele and it sounds great to say the truth, but my friend came in with a cheapo fender made in mexico for which he paid 1/4th of the price i paid for mine and his Tele sounds terrific!

guitars have to be tried, it doesn't matter the model you have, even if it is the same model, they all sound and play and feel different.

• Members

I have a both hamer and gibson as well

in a way, I'm more prone to going all out when I decide to pla ythe hamer for a change because it wouldn't be dramatic if I broke a $60 guitar (that I've had for far too long anyway). I wont be driving the gibson SG standard's neck into the side of my amp anytime soon, that's for sure.

I swear, that hamer is going to die a spectacular death!

Archived