And you thought arguing about high-end instrument cables was pathetic.....

Axe_34

• Members

Holy crap!! Now I've seen it all. :rolleyes: I had to look at my pedals to even know what they are talking about. Sine there isn't a "I could have had a V8" smily, I'll use this one. :lem::lem::lem::lem::lem::lem:

edit, here's the smily I was looking for: thwap.gif

• Members

That's funny. But I concur with the people saying they're ugly. I haven't included that extra washer on any of the (few) pedals I've built.

I wouldn't argue about it though.

I bet Crxsh actually knows what color shutters are on his house too. Who even notices this stuff. Woman.:poke:

• Members

Quote:

I replace all my white plastic washers with real elephant tusk washers, finished with baby seal oil. I find it really lets the upper midrange shine and provides a pleasant bloom effect.

hahahahahaha!!!

I think you misunderstood. Uma is not a cork sniffer. He was only pretending and poking fun of guys there. But yeah TGP are full of cork sniffers. The only reason they even survive there is because they would be crucified anywhere else. It's like a bomb shelter for cork sniffers, ultimate boutique makers and hype artists.

• Members

I think you misunderstood. Uma is not a cork sniffer. He was only pretending and poking fun of guys there. But yeah TGP are full of cork sniffers. The only reason they even survive there is because they would be crucified anywhere else. It's like a bomb shelter for cork sniffers, ultimate boutique makers and hype artists.

No man, I knew that he was joking. :) I found his comment very witty.

PS what is a cork sniffer and where did this term come from?

• Members

No man, I knew that he was joking.
:)
I found his comment very witty.

PS what is a cork sniffer and where did this term come from?

ah my bad, i guess i was the one who misunderstood.

I've only came upon the term cork sniffer less than a year ago, but the effect has been around for ages as far as i know. I think it refers to sniffing the wine bottle cork to get a sense of the wine's taste instead of smelling from the glass or the bottle directly. So basically, by sniffing the cork, you're wasting your time. Why would you sniff the cork when you can sniff the bottle or the glass directly to get a sense of the taste?

Essentially the cork sniffer misses the point and fails to see the big picture.

This cork sniffer effect is rampant amongst boutique effects forum, and the TGP forum is by far one of the worse offenders. Boutique makers of effects love this, because this create hype which allows them to sell their product. You see this with many examples including

1. skreddy muff clones whose prices are doubled on ebay. here and here

2. bull{censored} "boutique" cables

3. a clone of a clone is a unique pedal (e.g lovepedals) --too many examples to bother linking

4. the gauge and wiring components used to make a cable

5. the price of cables needing to be >$100 for them to sound good

6. the color of the cable making a difference in the sound

7. the ever so popular directional cable

8. many many more examples that i am too lazy to link

Not only that, but they admit they are cork sniffers. And then the next day, they'll deny they ever said it. :lol:

not to mention the ultimate cork sniffing that is carbon composition versus metal film resistors. This goes on and on ad nauseum.

Ironically, the cork sniffers who prefer analog pedals are sometimes those that want everything to be transparent. :lol: They can't seem to decide if they want to be high fi or lofi :lol:

There are many many examples of cork sniffing, and once you recognized them, you are forever cursed, and whenever you read about it, you will get annoyed and wants to shoot somebody. bananadead.gif

Ultimately what really pisses me off are the people who i think really should know better but insist on defending cork sniffing peeing territory to the bitter end even though logic tells them otherwise nuts.gificon_banghead.gif

Here's a nice read http://blog.winemag.com/index.php/2007/09/25/i-cork-sniffer/

Here is a nice definition which puts the term on point http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cork+sniffer

• Members

i would like to add that cork sniffing would be okay if there was some logical basis for doing it. Most cork sniffers cork sniff for the sake of cork sniffing. Cork sniffing is extremely contagious. Do not let yourself become a cork sniffer!

Sorry I'm a n00b what's a cork sniffer? :confused:

• Members

I prefer the plastic washers too, definitely has a much more obvious dampening effect to the switching than metal on metal would give you.

not to mention the ultimate cork sniffing that is carbon composition versus metal film resistors. This goes on and on ad nauseum.

What is the cork sniffer consensus on resistors? I've heard both carbon and metal film bigged up by different people in the past for different reasons. I've always gone for metal film because it gives you a better chance of actually getting the value you want.

Archived