how many people here have bought a big muff "clone" without owning an EHX muff?

T3

• Members

hmm?

i guess partially as an extension of the cloning ethics debate that's ongoing, the big muff seemed to be an obvious choice. so, has anyone here bought a big muff clone (byoc, skreddy, whatever) but never an ehx muff, any type, old or current.

personally i've bought both, and the ehx first...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I bought my mayo prior to a EHX ICBM.

Though i had played a NYC BM. ANd purchased the ICBM during the waiting period of the Mayo.

So in a short term answer

Ordered the Mayo.

Bought a Big Muff

Sold the Big Muff

Received Mayo

• Members

so, has anyone here bought a big muff clone (byoc, skreddy, whatever) but never an ehx muff, any type, old or current.

Yes. Montgomery Appliances Triangle Muff.

I wanted the triangle version as I had once had the pleasure of playing an original and coveted its wondrous noise. Nitefly's was tiny and orange, so I bought it off Used666 to save myself the hassle of building one.

• Members

I've never owned an EHX Big Muff because none of the reissues I tried impressed me. I was after a specific Muff sound and unfortunately the current EHX product just didn't do it, and I have no interest at all in searching out vintage effects and paying a premium for an effect that someone has been stomping on for 30 years. I now own two Muff clones, a Pink Flesh and a Moen fuzz and both sound much better to me than the reissue Big Muff.

Sad but true.

• Members

this is quite interesting...

i assumed most people played a current big muff at some point, and moved on from there... seems a lot more people than i expected jumped straight to the incarnation of the circuit they most wanted... i guess thats informed purchasing..

• Members

I was listening to Dark Side of the Moon this morning on my way to work. Now I'm gassing hard for a Big Muff type fuzz. Thanks for this thread, {censored}ers.

OT: lol @ warioblast's avatar!

I think he mainly used a silicon Fuzz Face on Dark Side.

• Members

guilty. Bought a mayo and it didn't quite work out. Bought an ehx little big muff later and its been around ever since. For whatever reason the mayo just didn't do it for me but the LBM was great.

actually good to know.

• Members
I've never owned a Muff. I'm considering getting one, but I'll probably get a clone. I'd like a smaller enclosure and less mid-scoop.

a small enclosure and less mid scoop isn't really a big muff though, those two things are part of what makes it what it is. ;)

Archived