High Gain Pedals

• Members

I'm looking for a pedal that sounds like a high gain amp. I know there are some tube overdrive pedals out there, but I don't know where to begin. I'm looking for Dethklok type tone. Obviously I won't be able to find that sort of sound *exactly*, but I'm looking for something close. Thanks.

• Members

You can try the Damage Control Demonizer. It's a preamp/distortion pedal with 2 tubes in it. You can get high gain sounds with it. It also has an output with a 4x12 cab sim so you can run it directly to the board.

• Members

Fulltone GT 500 is not tube driven, yet it sounds very warm and sags very nicely.

Mesa Boogie V Twin ansd Bottle Rocket ares the best tube driven pedals Ive tried that sound insanely like an amp. Of course they have the Mesa sound, which I love, but some don't.

• Members

Actually the Damage Control Solid Metal has a higher high gain sound than the Demonizer. Switch the tubes to Tsung Sol tubes and you've got a monster.
The Tube Zone gets great high gain.
The Zoom Tri-Metal pedal is as heavy as you can get but its a one-trick pony. Its all chugga-chugga.
The Landmine is a pretty good high gain pedal.
I've heard really good things about the Rocktron Zombie but I hear its noisy.
A lot of people hate this pedal but the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal is a pretty good high gain pedal. Its just digital instead of analog.
There are some more expensive high gain pedals - the Openhaus and the Morpheus. I really can't recommend paying $350+ for a dirtbox. You may as well buy an amp. The last Mesa V-Twin I saw on eBay went for about $500. That's just plain stupid. NO DISTORTION PEDAL IS WORTH THAT. No pedal will match an amp for distortion.

If you're looking for "brewtalz" in a pedal, the Zoom Tri-Metal is H-E-A-V-Y
Here's a youtube demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYwesSborlM

• Members

dude, that thing is awesome. are they pretty hard to find? there is only one up on the bay right now.

Sorry to butt in, but that youtube clip sounded terrible (was he playing through a Crate practice amp or something?).

I have a Metal Muff and Crunchbox, both of which sound much better, so I suggest you check those out instead. Two very different pedals for sure: Crunch box is great for saturated Marshall-type sounds. Metal Muff works best for thrash metal and modern metal type sounds. You won't go wrong with either.

• Members

These were all made with my Damage Control Solid Metal overdriven by my Damage Control Liquid Blues. I've replaced the tubes in the Solid Metal with Tung-Sol tubes. The Liquid Blues still has the stock EHX tubes, though I'm planning on swapping them for JJ ECC83s.

I make no excuses for sloppy playing. Deal with it. :mad:

lgbt

vavn

nzrq

iuzg

The following clip was made with a EHX Metal Muff with Top Boost overdriven by a Danelectro Wasabi OD.

homk

• Members

dude, that thing is awesome. are they pretty hard to find? there is only one up on the bay right now.

I believe they have incorporated the Tri-metal in their G models (G1, G2, G2.1, etc.)

• Members

I believe they have incorporated the Tri-metal in their G models (G1, G2, G2.1, etc.)

They have a picture of the Tri-Metal under the Extreme Distortion model in the manual, but as a previous owner of a G2.1u and a current happy owner of both a Zoom Tri-Metal and the Zoom G9.2tt modeling console, I can tell you that the "Extreme Distortion" pedal model is not a Zoom Tri-Metal. It lacks the unholy girth and unstoppable roar of the Tri-Metal's distortion, though it maintains clarity through any amount of distortion and also has the Tri-Metal's preternatural quietness even with full gain engaged (no noise gate, it's just an incredibly quiet circuit with quality components).

Mr. Extreme Distortion, I know the Tri-Metal. I have worked with the Tri-Metal. You, model, are no Tri-Metal.

Archived