Zvex Box of Rock or MI Audio Blues Pro??

• Members

Hi,

As the title implies, I have a decision to make, and a difficult one at that! I'm looking for a really organic sounding, tube-like overdrive/distortion pedal. I find the OCD to be a little too brittle sounding when used as a really low gain overdrive so I'm looking for something a little smoother.

Anyways, the sort of sound I'm after, (roughly), would be that soaring, really dynamic, pick-sensitive Lynyrd Skynyrd lead sound!

My only fear about the Blues Pro is that I've gotten the impression it's kinda Tubescreamer-esque, and I'm not really into that SRV sound... I might be wrong, it may well be nothing like the tubescreamer so if anyone could chime in on that I'd be grateful.

Any suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks very much,

Xan

• Members

I don't have a Tube Screamer but the Blues Pro is an excellent pedal. If you're worried about it sounding too Tube Screamerish you should pay the extra cash for the MI Audio Blues Deluxe pedal as there are waaaayyyyy more tonal options and it can do anything from a TS to standard OD tones and it should give you the Lynyrd Skynyrd sound you're after.

• Members

Box of Rock ... no contest. (I own both.)

One of the most amp-like pedals ever created. Plus, that boost circuit is gold. The Blues Pro is a modified TS .... and a great pedal, but for what you're looking for ... BoR all the way.

• Members

Doesn't look like you're going to get a clear answer. :)

Blues Pro is a great pedal. MI makes prime stuff. You'd really have to try both to be absolutely sure. Or listen very carefully to as many clips/videos as you can. Nothing compares to trying, though.

Archived