Who else is getting screwed out of their stimulus check?

• Members

My stimulus was less than stimulating.
I was actually able to put some gas in the tank, drive around and buy some food and clothes for the kids. Woo{censored}inghoo, thanks George. It was almost as good as it was before you took office...for a few days anyway, now what?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am a 21 year old student who lives with my parents. I do this because I cannot afford to move out and go to school at the same time without leeching off the government. I work, I pay taxes. Because I even have the potential to be claimed (I am anyway) I don't get a stimulus check. My parents also get nothing for claiming me.

It's hard enough to pay for school on minimum wage and then work while at school, so why would I be denied this check. The other group that is denied the checks are singles making over 75,000 dollars. I don't get it. I pay taxes just like everyone else, and my reward is my work getting busier from everyone else getting money and making my work harder.

I hate our government. Republican or Democrat, it all is ran poorly.

I'm in a similar situation but AFAIK I'm getting the money. How much (or little) did you work last year?

• Members

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson spearheaded much of the "Bush stimlus package" (former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers originally recommended temporary tax rebates) which both parties agreed was needed, but compromised on. courtesy of - Dem led? OK.

• Members
Your parents will get an extra $300 for claiming you as a dependent.

You also get money, even if you're a dependent, if you made over a certain amount ($3,600 maybe?), that's worth another $300.

Not sure about this, I don't get the 3 bills for my 19 yr old student living at home and she doesn't get it either. She made about $6k last year. :confused::mad:

• Members

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson spearheaded much of the "Bush stimlus package" (former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers originally recommended temporary tax rebates) which both parties agreed was needed, but compromised on. courtesy of - Dem led? OK.

BTW, I think it's asinine and fiscally irresponsible. Bread and circuses.

• Members

it's just an advance on next year's return anyway, it's not like they're giving away money.

Not quite. It's an advance on a one-time tax credit they created for the 2008 tax year. But instead of waiting until next year to claim the credit, you get the check this year. It has no effect on what you owe or what you get back when you file next year.

Yes, I read the bill (I'm crazy that way)

• Members
Not quite. It's an advance on a one-time tax credit they created for the 2008 tax year. But instead of waiting until next year to claim the credit, you get the check this year. It has no effect on what you owe or what you get back when you file next year.

Yes, I read the bill (I'm crazy that way)

Ah so it is still basically circular logic, "I'm gonna cut off my head, to stand on, in order to be taller!" :confused:

I hate it for the next person to take office. Big ole {censored} pie sitting there waiting.

• Members
Not sure about this, I don't get the 3 bills for my 19 yr old student living at home and she doesn't get it either. She made about $6k last year.
:confused::mad:

yeah if the dependent is over 18, then no one gets the stimulus.

I made like 9600 dollars this year, work like 30 hours a week, live at home and go to school full time. I ended up owing the state of Maryland like 75 bucks and getting 303 dollars back from the feds. I'm not complaining, but it is kind of weird.. I think I must've made it into a higher bracket or something because when I filed in 2006 I made like 6700 dollars, was still a dependent, went to school full time, and worked a lot but I got like 450 back from the feds and 350 back from the state of Maryland...

I guess it's just Martin O'Malley kickin me in the dick :thu:

• Members
Make a lemon out of lemonaide.
:p

Seriously this stimulus check is merely an advance on the taxes you will owe next year. If you look at it that way you are not losing anything.

:thu:

From what I read they are not expecting anything back on the money, they are saying it won't be taxed etc.

Ours is pretty much already spent anyway, nothing great no gear just normal house stuff etc...

Archived