Radio Signals

nikeshp

• Members

it's usually not the pedals or power, but could be. the biggest cause of radio reception in a signal chain is an extra-long guitar cable before several pedals, and coiling that cable can worsen the problem. also, poor or bad shielding on the guitar could do it.

for the most part, the pedals are just amplifying what's already there. you miiight have a pedal that actually causes RF interference, but most likely it's a bad cable or ground before the pedals. try swapping out the cables, try a different guitar, etc before going through each pedal separately to find a problem.

your distance from a radio tower could be the problem too. i just recorded at a studio that was right next to a radio tower. we had to use very short cables before pedals, and even turn our bodies, guitars and amps the right way to not pick up signals.

• Members

I have two GIANT broadcast towers within a mile or so of my house (and all of my stuff is one the third floor...)-

When I still used solid-state amps, I couldn't get rid of the RF no matter what I tried. Not sure if the signal came from those towers, but I once heard a rather long conversation in Japanese through the amp. It was actually kind of cool.

Since going all-tube, I've had less of a problem (when I use the Vibrato channel on my DRRI I still get some noise - esepcially with reverb) - Moving stuff around usually helps - Quality cables, a conditioned power supply, etc. will usually cure the prob.

Annoying, but you get what you get sometimes. Geography can be a bitch.

• Members

I've heard that a faulty ground can cause radio interferance. It happened to a friends Wah Wah pedal he bought. It was a pretty crappy demo and it started to make unbearable noise one day. We took it back to guitar center and it worked fine. Until we heard a strange noise, then we moved the pedal around and then we heard... We heard komo 1000am news. It was kinda cool because you could wah the radio, then plug it into delay, flanger, phaser, your choice. My friend got it replaced with a new one. Pretty good deal considering he bought a demo one he got a new one in the end.

Archived