Why is bubblewrap so expensive. WHY.

veil

• Members

I bought two rolls for like $6 and it's thin and I'd need like 10 rolls of this to cover my amp. What the {censored}. Where do you get big thick strong throbbing bubblewrap on the cheap? Can you use something else besides bubblewrap. Jeezum crow.

• Members

The best wrapping stuff ive found is when you buy large items from Cost Plus or World Import Market etc.. Have a look out back, they usually have awesome boxes and wrapping stuff..

Are you shipping your amp? Might be cheaper to invest in a blanket and just ship it along with the amp etc..

• Members

Start with a carton that most nearly fits your amp with a few inches to spare on each side. Rummaging through the dumpsters behind GC is a good place to look!

Go to a craft store and buy four big blocks of styrofoam. Take it home and measure how big a cutout you need to create a tight corner pad for each corner of the amp. Get a sharp knife, and get busy!

If you're REALLY stingy then look for styrofoam corners while you're dumpster diving at GC. :p

• Members

do you know the person you're shipping to? If so, it would be funny. If not, I would be really pissed at whoever sold me the amp.

Do not know them personally. What if I put in a note that was like "hey, throw out the mattress pad after you get the amp out. It's dirty." :cop:

• Members

i {censored}ing hate foam puffs.

one of the worst feelings is opening up a sealed box and seeing whatevers inside covered in peanuts and knowing that not only is the item coming out, but a big mess is as well.

wtf are you supposed to do with them afterwards?

@ work, i make sure that i package peanuts when they're addressed to clients that are clearly annoying. i laugh maniacally when i do it too, its a big perk.

• Members

i {censored}ing
hate
foam puffs.

one of the worst feelings is opening up a sealed box and seeing whatevers inside covered in peanuts and knowing that not only is the item coming out, but a big mess is as well.

wtf are you supposed to do with them afterwards?

@ work, i make sure that i package peanuts when they're addressed to clients that are clearly annoying. i laugh maniacally when i do it too, its a big perk.

+100....man are packing peanuts a pain in the ass. The other thing I can't stand is the material filled envelopes. Like it's asbestos or something. ALWAYS makes a mess, no matter what.

• Members

I usually wrap amps in garbage bags, then a blanket, and then padd with newspaper.

Bubble wrap is plastic.

Plastic is technically a petroleum product.

Do the math
;)

But what about garbage bags and their being a petroleum product!? The fact bubble wrap has individual packets of air is the added value thus expense. :p

• Members
Ok so I have a mattress pad that my roommate's cat peed on the other day. I doused it in this odor-killer stuff but it still has faint traces of urine odor.

Would it be

Someone sent me an old acoustic that I repaired up. They'd wrapped it in a blanket that not only stank of piss but had piss on it. I am unsure as to whether it was human or feline.

• Members

Someone sent me an old acoustic that I repaired up. They'd wrapped it in a blanket that not only stank of piss but had piss on it. I am unsure as to whether it was human or feline.

That is awful.

• Members

That is
awful

I second that. You send someone an acoustic for repairs in a blanket like that? I know that most people would get really pissed, pardon the expression. I know I would be...

On the original topic, I suggest crumpled newspaper as well. It's cheap, eco-friendly, and is as good as bubble wrap, IMHO.

• Members

I second that. You send someone an acoustic for repairs in a blanket like that? I know that most people would get really pissed, pardon the expression. I know I would be...

On the original topic, I suggest crumpled newspaper as well. It's cheap, eco-friendly, and is as good as bubble wrap, IMHO.

Would I just stuff the oversized box with newspaper on all sides? is that effective?

• Members

Would I just stuff the oversized box with newspaper on all sides? is that effective?

Erm, blanket first, then a few inches of newspaper. That way it's a little easier on the amp. I'm going to assume it's a tube amp? If it is, would it be a good idea to send it separately?

Also, you should add a "This End Up" sticker, and a "FRAGILE" sticker, and a sticker with an umbrella, so it won't get wet... Or does the post office do that?