talk box for guitar

• Members

hey, i'm looking to buy a talk box soon I was wondering what one to get. The only one's that seem to be offered by guitar center are the Dunlop heil talk box, the Rocktron banshee, and the new Rocktron banshee 2. If anyone who has tried any or all of these could recommend one of these pedals for me to purchase, it would be great. Also if you have any other talk box recommendations, those too would be welcome. Thanks.

• Members

I had a Heil. It sounded really cool but was a PITA to set up, needed a separate amp for it, at least the way I used it. The tube got gross because slobber tends to build up real quick when using these and it runs down the tube.

It was fun saying "show me your boobs" through it at clubs, though.

• Members

I have an old TB. No name on it but it looks just like the Dunlop/Heil. I bought it used about 25 years ago. I run mine between the amp output and the speakers. It's not that hard to set up. I have 2 speaker cables tied together and labeled. They are a lot of fun. If I was to ever upgrade, I would look at the Rocktron. I've never tried a Rocktron, but I hear they sound as good as an original and they set up in the effects chain. I think they are also lighter/smaller than the originals which would make it easier to mount to a pedal board. Mine weighs a ton and is bulky making it difficult to mount to my pedalboard.

• Members

Does anyone know anything about the Danelectro Free Speech talkbox?

It has a little more subtle effect (due to a smaller internal speaker,I imagine) that I quite liked, but you HAVE to get a seperate mic and an adapter down to a 3.5mm to hook up to the Dano... the included mic is bunk.

• Members

It has a little more subtle effect (due to a smaller internal speaker,I imagine) that I quite liked, but you HAVE to get a seperate mic and an adapter down to a 3.5mm to hook up to the Dano... the included mic is bunk.

Agreed. I own a Free Speech in addition to my Banshee and the only way to get much of any sound into the included mic is to basically put the mic in your mouth with the tube. Not tasty.

Archived