WTB Volume Pedal Advice needed

• Members

Looking for advice.

I currently play in what's best described as a "variety band".

My setup is guitar, Pod XT Live in to 2 Tech 21 PE-60 cabs.

I am looking to add a volume or boost pedal of some sorts for leads so I can keep the pod at one volume. (I've been driving our sound guy nutty with my fluctuating volumes.

The problem is, I've never owned one and have no idea what I should be looking for. There's a ga-zillion pedals out there and I'm just scratching my head.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you have something for sale that might suit my needs please PM me.

Thanks,

Chris

• Members

Like I said, I've never been in a position where I've needed something like this before so I have no idea. I am admittedly completely ignorant on this topic and in need of education.

haha, alright alright.

Well the defacto standard is the Ernie Ball VP Jr. Good price, solid performance and a nice brushed metal finish. Alot of folks don't dig the system it uses (the pully-string thing) and a few have issues with noise and signal loss when using the tuner out. So if you think that would ever irk you, Boss makes a volume pedal that can double as an expression pedal and has a similar look. Obviously trying to take some business away from EB, but their pedal is larger than the VP Jr. Also does not use a string.

If you're looking for a top quality, bulletproof volume pedal with the best taper around, check out Hilton or Goodrich. Pricey stuff from them, but they make the best volume pedals in the business. Pedal steel guitarists swear by them. Not 100% sure, but I think the Hilton stuff has lasers in them for super accurate swells and so forth. Serious stuff.

Personally, I'd go for a Ernie Ball VP Jr., cheap space efficient pedal that gets the job done. Used666 is selling one for $70, which IMO is a great deal and I wish I could snag it for myself haha.

• Members

Tom,

Great advice so far.

Can you tell me what the differences are between a volume pedal and a boost pedal?

Volume pedal is usually for controlling from 0db to unity gain. A boost pedal is to push your signal from unity gain to something a little hotter (10+db for instance).

There are a few volume pedals that can be controlled to boost as well, but I like having separate pedals for each.

• Members

From what you describe it sounds like you are looking for more of a boost pedal to kick your leads up above the mix, a volume pedal would be a bit harder because you would have to keep it half cocked to get back to your normal volume.

Look at the EHX LPB-1 for a good, cheap, clean boost pedal... but if it is a volume pedal you want, then look no further than the Ernie Ball VP Jr. as TomVanDeven said

EDIT: In simple terms, a volume pedal gives you no sort of additional volume... its the exact same thing as having your guitar's volume knob at your feet allowing you control over your guitars output when you normally wouldn't be able to fiddle with the knob.

• Members

haha, alright alright.

Well the defacto standard is the Ernie Ball VP Jr. Good price, solid performance and a nice brushed metal finish. Alot of folks don't dig the system it uses (the pully-string thing) and a few have issues with noise and signal loss when using the tuner out. So if you think that would ever irk you, Boss makes a volume pedal that can double as an expression pedal and has a similar look. Obviously trying to take some business away from EB, but their pedal is larger than the VP Jr. Also does not use a string.

If you're looking for a top quality, bulletproof volume pedal with the best taper around, check out Hilton or Goodrich. Pricey stuff from them, but they make the best volume pedals in the business. Pedal steel guitarists swear by them. Not 100% sure, but I think the Hilton stuff has lasers in them for super accurate swells and so forth. Serious stuff.

Personally, I'd go for a Ernie Ball VP Jr., cheap space efficient pedal that gets the job done. Used666 is selling one for $70, which IMO is a great deal and I wish I could snag it for myself haha.

+1. Personally I prefer the taper of the VP-JR - I don't think I'd like it if it were 100% linear. It's a great unit. One thing though: the 25K pot ones are best for effects loops.

Archived