PEEPLUG - photo eye expression plug!

THAT IS SO COOL!!! I'd like to figure out a way that I could attach the "eye" to a guitar some how so you would have it in easy reach while playing.

You could just use a long TRS (1/4" "stereo") cable to go from your expression pedal jack up to a PEEP... put the PEEP where ever you want... maybe on a mic stand / boom arm...? Put one of those clip-on, flexible arm LED lamps on the stand too. You could then reach over and point it directly at the PEEP, or move away from it... or wave your hand between them to manually vary the amount of light hitting the photoresistor.

Devi, I bet you could make a more traditional style expression pedal with those things pretty easily. Stick everything inside a case, with the position of a LED relative to the photoresistor changing as the position of the pedal changes - IOW, attach an LED to an arm on the bottom of the treadle, with the photoresistor rigidly mounted inside the case. As the treadle position changes, the photoresistor gets more / less direct illumination as the arm moves it inline with, or away from being directly aimed at the photoresistor. Connect the photoresistor to a 1/4" TRS jack, wire up a 9V DC 2.1mm jack for power to the LED, and you're done. Stick in in a case a bit larger than the last one you sent me to check out though - maybe one size up... but the same basic idea. :whisper:;) Advantages? Small, but not too small, no pots to wear out, no strings to break, etc. The LED would be in a fairly dark place, taking environmental / ambient light out of the equation... if you play around with the LED brightness / resistors / placement a bit to dial it in, I bet it would work great. :idea:

• Members

if anyone has a PEEP or gets on of these, and wants to use it on a dark stage or where light intensity may change... go to a big kitchen and bath store like Bed Bath Beyond etc; they have small gooseneck LED reading lamps that clip on to anything. you could probably hack in a DC jack to power it with your board.

kinda like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-L-E-D-Light-Silver/dp/B000A0O0JC/ref=pd_sim_k_title_5

if anyone has a PEEP or gets on of these, and wants to use it on a dark stage or where light intensity may change... go to a big kitchen and bath store like Bed Bath Beyond etc; they have small gooseneck LED reading lamps that clip on to anything. you could probably hack in a DC jack to power it with your board.

kinda like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-L-E-D-Light-Silver/dp/B000A0O0JC/ref=pd_sim_k_title_5

That's basically what I'm using, except the one I got at NAMM has two arms; one with two red LED's, and one with two white LED's. Each "head" has two separate power settings - single LED or dual LED, switchable at the head itself.

It basically looks exactly like this one, but with red LED's on the second head.

Duet-Sitting-300dpi-e0aa8306dd2e4b04171f

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MIGDUET

The only place I've ever seen the regular LED / red LED combo was at NAMM... I didn't see it on their website the last time I checked. :idk:

• Members

Following up on Phil's post, the first effects pedals I ever built for myself (30 years ago!?:eek:) were the old Craig Anderton ring modulator and dual tone filter designs (from the first edition of Electronics Projects for Musicians). Lacking suitable wah-style enclosures, I managed to obtain a handful of old sewing-machine rheostat pedals (used for controlling the motor speed). When you gutted one of them you were left with a steel enclosure with a spring-loaded pedal, and on the pedal was an arm with a slot in it (which engaged the rotor on the original rheostat). Using plexiglass or balsa wood I built a small rectangular box with an LED on one side and an LDR on the other side, separated by a slot just wide enough to accomodate the pedal arm and just long enough to enable it to move freely over its entire range as the pedal was depressed. I put a piece of cardboard or balsa on the arm to cover the slot, then applied power to the LED and measured the resistance of the LDR as I moved the pedal, with the arm controlling the amount of light reaching the LDR. Same principle used in optically controlled pedals today. Worked like a charm. Pedal enclosures looked pretty funky and low-tech, too; the only downside was the (thick coil) spring preventing the pedal from being partially depressed and left alone.

• Members

What's the output voltage range of the PEEPLUG? I tried looking up the specs of the two parts (the cell and the plug) and could not find the voltage info.

I believe the Moogs' control voltage inputs take -5V to +5V.

• Members

What's the output voltage range of the PEEPLUG? I tried looking up the specs of the two parts (the cell and the plug) and could not find the voltage info.

I believe the Moogs' control voltage inputs take -5V to +5V.

YOU DARE QUESTION THE GREAT PHOTO EYE!?!?!?!

hal_9000.gif

[YOUTUBE]k_9bzoeG1Ws[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

that is awesome.

hey devi, is 2nd Staff going to sell this in Japan?

I'm sure they will. Actually, I'm just about to ship an order out to them, so these first 10 will go out them now that I think about it. :) Will probably be available there in about two weeks.

• Members

I'm sure they will. Actually, I'm just about to ship an order out to them, so these first 10 will go out them now that I think about it.
:)
Will probably be available there in about two weeks.

cool. I'll probably get one.(if I still have money:freak:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived