Keeley BD-2 issues/alternatives?

sbrett

• Members

Hey guys, I've had a Keeley modified BD-2 on my board for some time. Recently the gain knob has some issues. When I first got it it seems like it had quite a bit of gain, now I max it out and it is barely breaking up. I can probably try cracking it open and cleaning it, but has anyone else had gain issues with their BD-2?

This got me thinking about looking at some alternatives.

What pedals are close to the BD-2 gain-wise, and are also fairly transparent? I'm looking for a low to med. gain pedal that has a nice and thick balanced sound. The ones I'm looking at are:

Xotic AC booster or BB preamp (can't decide which would be the better BD-2 replacement--I already have a Tube Zone for higher gain stuff)

Cusack Screamer

Fulltone OCD

Maybe one of the Catalinbread pedals?

Any other options you guys can think of? I'll go up to $200.

• Members

I don't find the Timmy has the same amount of gain as the KBD2. Timmy is good for the lighter more natural stuff.

I replaced mine with the OCD and it's very good. Tighter gain on the ocd.

The keeley is a bit fizzier but i haven't sold it off, it's sitting in a box ready to go back on a board later.

nothing is like the keeley's ability to do light and medium gain and then a fuzz at its upper end.

• Members

Any ideas on why the gain is acting up? Like I said, it seems like it used to have quite a bit of gain, and now it barely breaks up even when maxed. Dirty pot or something?

Does it sound spluttery and fizzy as well? I had the same problem w/ a Prescription Electronics Dual-Tone and when the tech opened it up the chip had a hairline crack in it which was obviously making it act out! I've never seen that happen before, or since...

• Members

Does it sound spluttery and fizzy as well? I had the same problem w/ a Prescription Electronics Dual-Tone and when the tech opened it up the chip had a hairline crack in it which was obviously making it act out! I've never seen that happen before, or since...

Not really--when I turn the gain knob it is a bit scratchy, but I don't notice any splutter or fizz. I think I'll just open it up and see if there's anything obvious, maybe spray some de-oxit.

Archived