Stereo Electric Mistress or Deluxe Electric Mistress?

petejt

• Members

I'm really startin' to get major GAS for one of these! :love:

But I don't know which?? :confused:

Which one do you reccomend would produce a more syrupy, slow phasey 'flanged' swirly chorus sound?

Oh, I plan to use it in the effects loop of my Roland Jazz Chorus 120.......... :idea:

(honestly the chorus effect inside it just doesn't seem 'strong' enough like others I hear..)

• Members

Deluxe if you ask me

it's not terribly slow though

That's a pity then, as in this case- "slow" rates over analogue.

Is the Deluxe Electric Mistress available right off the shelf? (I still manufactured), or is it out of production and only available second-hand?

Is the Deluxe in mono or stereo?

At the moment it seems that the Stereo Electric Mistress would be more suitable (can get slow the way I want).

• Members

My Deluxe goes extremely slow. The Stereo seems more phasey though, but I think the Deluxe sounds the best out of the current models.

Phasey is more what I want, but as of this moment, just after listening in awe to a video (yes crappy YouTube audio) of a Deluxe Electric Mistress, I could hear that warm breathy analogue richness and I just melted... :love:

I suppose I am being too fussy about "phaseyness", especially since I plan to run it through my Jazz Chorus amp which already has built-in chorus..

• Members

One reason why I was keen on the Stereo Mistress, was because well, it's in stereo, so I could use it in the effects loop of my JC-120 which has stereo returns.

Is the Deluxe Electric Mistress in stereo as well?

• Members

Is the Deluxe Electric Mistress in stereo as well?

Nope. It has a direct out though. If you haven't tried an original DEM, it's worth it to find one at a store and give it a whirl. It's one of the most easily identifiable chorus/flange sounds in recording history. You'll feel like you've been transported back to 1980.

• Members

melx has one, I think he should chime in.

I haven't had much time playing with it yet, but I do like it.....it sounds nothing like a deluxe EM though. There's some cool sounds be be had, but classic EM sounds they aren't.

I say for vintage tones get the DEM RI

for more modern sounding flange/chorus and the coolest led ever get the stereo...and if you can run it in stereo...wow!!

• Members

Nope. It has a direct out though. If you haven't tried an original DEM, it's worth it to find one at a store and give it a whirl. It's one of the most easily identifiable chorus/flange sounds in recording history. You'll feel like you've been transported back to 1980.

Could it be modded to send a flanged signal out of both outputs?

• Members

While we're on the subject, I've got different question. Has anyone compared the Deluxe Electric Mistress with a vintage one? Hopefully Fender&EHX4ever can answer this. I just sent my DEM to Howard Davis yesterday to get the Deluxe to Vintage mod as well as the impedance increase and volume drop correction.

I love the DEM on clean but it colors the sound to much for use with high gain solos. It cuts off to much of the high end or something. Howard says the vintage mod adds more high frequency response. I'm hoping that's whats missing. I just can't quite get those Animals/The Wall solo tones with the DEM. It's not subtle enough. So can someone tell me if the vintage mistress sound will get me there more so than the Deluxe?

• Members

I wish I could find stuff like that locally.......

I've got that classic flanging chorus sound swirling around my head at this very minute, it's making me weak at the knees :love:

Damn I need a DEM!

• Members

The 18v Electric Mistress is definitely the holy grail of the series. The pots have more range than the Deluxe, from subtle to extreme. The tone is definitely closer to the Police and Pink Floyd recordings, the high end is more present, and the effect can be more subtle.

However, the original does have a few issues: 1) requires 2 9v batteries, or a very rare 18v power supply with positive tip, 2) there is a volume drop, 3) depending on the condition of the components (especially in the power regulator section of the circuit) you might hear faint clock noise ticking, and 4) there is no direct out. Also, the 18v units use the old Reticon chips, which aren't as high fidelity.

Cool, it sounds like I'll get all the pros of the vintage without the cons.

• Members

Does anyone here know what pedal is also turned on in this video when Message in a Bottle is played? You can see the person switch on a pedal before performing it. Is it an EQ or something (the tone seems "brighter" when switched on).

The only other pedal I see him turning on (apart from the DEM of course) is the Deluxe Memory Man.

• Members

Does anyone here know what pedal is also turned on in this video when
Message in a Bottle
is played? You can see the person switch on a pedal before performing it. Is it an EQ or something (the tone seems "brighter" when switched on).

The only other pedal I see him turning on (apart from the DEM of course) is the Deluxe Memory Man.

http://filters.muziq.be/model/hbe/psilocybe

Archived