AC30 owners, how do you use yours?

flump

• Members

Since there are a lot of AC30 owners in this forum, I figured I would ask how you use your AC30. To clarify this super vague question, what I mean for example is do you:

Use only one channel set clean, slightly dirty, cranked top boost?

Use one for cleans, one for dirt with an A/B/Y switch?

I personally use the channel blend dealy with the TB set a little higher than the normal channel, and set it to just a SLIGHT break up. I then use my BYOC TS 90% of the time with the gain at about 9 o'clock and volume at noon for my main tones, and then add my crunchbox to get all out distortion. I am quite happy with this. The only way I could be happier is to A/B a jcm 800 (dirt) with my AC30 (grit/cleans), but I just don't feel like having 2 amps at this point in time.

• Members

Don't have an ac30, but have a Fargen Epic which is sorta boutique clone. Run it with the volume (no master) at 4 to 5, where it is pretty 70's rock when smacked and then use my blackstone and Menatone KOB to kick it up for more and more gain. Both together get me happily into 80's metal gain.

• Members

I use the EF86 channel on my AC30H2 plugged into the +6db input, brilliance selector on "1", and the EF86 set to operate in triode mode. Volume to taste (triode & the hot input gives a slight grit), and push it into breakup with a ProCo Vintage Rat set with the distortion about 10 o'clock.

With my Teles, I also get the jangles.

• Members

plug

play

rock.

i actually have only the preamp tube for the normal channel in right now (we'll see how this show goes... :)

i use the normal channel, hotter input, w/ the eq's turned all off or whatever, and the amp turned up nice and loud. pretty much just a big loud el84 section!

(got that idea from teahead actually! cheers!)

• Members

I have a 70s AC30.

Trem channel for really bright guitars (Danelectro types) and top boost channel for strats, LPs etc. Cut as required, max treble and bass to taste. Used to run a Coloursound fuzz for crunch tones and a Crybaby rocked forward as a treble booster.

Haven't used it for a while - probably needs a cap and valve job now, as they're all original.

• Members

I use a Stang Ray (basically non-top boost AC30) and have the cut just below 2, tone on about 5 into the HI channel with single coils (LO for hum) and just started using everything out front instead of the loop. Volume adjusted to taste, but sounds damn good the more you crank it.

Archived