Help me understand my amp's effects loop please...

• Members

Marshall AVT 100

marshall%20avt100.jpg

avt100xtspecs.jpg

My Questions:

The onboard effects (namely reverb) is that before or after the effects loop?

Why do i get more volume just by turning up the fx loop control? i dont like this as it affects my tone which i like the way i haev set atm

It's a parralell loop yes? how does a series compare and can it be modded to a series loop?

thanks for yr input, i didnt post this in the amp forum cause last time i asked a question about my amp everyone told me it was {censored}.

• Members

thanks for yr input, i didnt post this in the amp forum cause last time i asked a question about my amp everyone told me it was {censored}.

But that is because it's true..... :poke:

ok, that aside, a Parallel effects loop splits the signal into two parts. Part of the signal is sent straight to the poweramp, and the other part is directed out of the Effects Send. Your Effects Loop has two controls-> Level & Mix. The Level control will reduce the amount of signal sent to the Effects Loop. Turning it right up will let all of the signal The Mix Control determines how much of that signal gets sent to the Effects Send. So therefore, "100% wet" means 100% of the signal goes to the Effects Send, which is exactly how a Series Effects Loop works.

• Members

The effect loop is in a side chain, so some of the signal always goes to the poweramp directly, the rest is diverted through the loop. If you turn up the fx loop control it will increase the level of the effects in the loop.

A serial loop means that the entire signal is sent through it, and so nothing is sent directly to the poweramp. Converting the loop to serial would be complex, although if you fx loop control can go up to 100% then this in effect means the loop is capable of being used serially. Best way to check this is to put the loop level up as high as possible and put an effect pedal (preferably a delay or reverb) in the loop that can go 100% wet. When you play you shouldn't hear any of the dry signal at all, and only the effect (delay repeats or reverb decay).

• Members

The effect loop is in a side chain, so some of the signal always goes to the poweramp directly, the rest is diverted through the loop. If you turn up the fx loop control it will increase the level of the effects in the loop.

A serial loop means that the entire signal is sent through it, and so nothing is sent directly to the poweramp. Converting the loop to serial would be complex, although if you fx loop control can go up to 100% then this in effect means the loop is capable of being used serially. Best way to check this is to put the loop level up as high as possible and put an effect pedal (preferably a delay or reverb) in the loop that can go 100% wet. When you play you shouldn't hear any of the dry signal at all, and only the effect (delay repeats or reverb decay).

but when i turn up the fx mix control it adds more volume to my tone thus altering it. it's as if i turned up the channel volume sort of :confused:

Archived