Boss OD-3 or SD-1, how different?

IRG

• Members

I have a Boss NS-2 pedal that I decided I can live without (just fine) so I may see if my local M&P dealer will take it back for adifferent Boss pedal of some sort. I don't have a traditional overdrive at the moment, so I was thinking maybe the OD-3 or the SD-1. I owned the OD-3 for a while, but traded it is for a BD-2, which I then sold as well. Probably too hasty with the OD-3. How different is the OD-3 from the SD-1? I don't really care about the $ difference so much. Other Boss pedal I should look at? I may mod either the SD-1 or OD-3 with a Keeley version. Thanks.

• Members

Basically.

Sd-1: Mid hump with bass cut. Alittle fizzy stock. Some complain theres a bleed problem when the pedal is off and the gain is high. Pretty much like a TS. I had an Monte Allums one w/ a bass switch. But it was only meh to me.
OD-3: Pretty much flat eq, adds alittle bass to fatten up your sound. Does a clean boost pretty good. Clarity is pretty much always there. Great pedal from stock.

o and the sd-1 has more gain on tap then the OD-3

• Members

Basically.

Sd-1: Mid hump with bass cut. Alittle fizzy stock. Some complain theres a bleed problem when the pedal is off and the gain is high. Pretty much like a TS. I had an Monte Allums one w/ a bass switch. But it was only meh to me.

OD-3: Pretty much flat eq, adds alittle bass to fatten up your sound. Does a clean boost pretty good. Clarity is pretty much always there. Great pedal from stock.

o and the sd-1 has more gain on tap then the OD-3

Thanks, for some reason I was thinking the SD-1 would have less gain. I would prefer a lower gain pedal, so the OD-3 it is then. I may actually use this pedal more as a boost. I had been using my Bad Monkey this way, but someone in my house stole it (a certain 6 year old who is "building" his own board.)

• Members

Thanks, for some reason I was thinking the SD-1 would have less gain. I would prefer a lower gain pedal, so the OD-3 it is then. I may actually use this pedal more as a boost. I had been using my Bad Monkey this way, but someone in my house stole it (a certain 6 year old who is "building" his own board.)

want me to do a short demo of it just to give you an idea?

ive been meaning to but really dont have any movation, haha.

• Members

dont mod it. the monte allums mod introduces a mid hump. do not want.

stock, the pedal is awesome. boss got it right the first time.

Cool, sounds good to me, the less modding the better.

• Members
dont mod it. the monte allums mod introduces a mid hump. do not want.

stock, the pedal is awesome. boss got it right the first time.

Hey Echo, My OD-3 is chasing my OLC Chunky Cheese to my mailbox as we speak, err, type.
I decided to go stock :thu:, because your sheraton -> OD3 -> AC30 clips was what I'm looking for. Why {censored} up a good thing to make it "better?"

for the guy that started the thread. I like my SD-1 for what it does. I just need a little more flexible OD. My SD-1 and my Rat are both mid heavy pedals so i decided to get an OD-3 for a different sound. The SD-1 will not be going anywhere.

Get both, the SD-1 can be found for 30-40 bucks used easy and its only a little more brand new. The OD-3 will run you about 80 buck new. Two good, complimentary pedals for under $120...

• Members

I don't really need both though, I have an excellent Emma Reeza pedal that does medium OD to heavy distortion very well. The screwdriver also does some good stuff, mostly I need a low to medium gain overdrive in a more traditional sense. I think the OD-3 will do that well again.

• Members

the od-3 is a kick ass med gain pedal,sold mine like the fool i am,now i'm jonesing for another

Yeah I should have kept mine too. If I buy another, this will be the first pedal I have rebought.

• Members

ehhh, youtube is being {censored}ty right now.

Should be up and working tonight. The vid alternates humbucker and single coil.

And the single is going to be a little quieter then my humbucks, didnt really compensate for the output levels.

• Members

Thanks for putting that together, sounded pretty good. I think this should work well for my needs.

not a problem man. Actually judging from the vid, its alot darker sounding with my buckers...but then again they are kind of like that.

Its a good Od that keeps the clarity even when the gain is maxed, especially with singlecoils.

Archived