OT: HCFX Tell us about you

ChaseA17

• Members

What's OSCAR? Is it like ESS (Extended Student Services) for us? AKA afterschool daycare?

Yep!

Outside of School Care And Recreation:)

Basically in the school terms i go there after school and help kids with homework and then go play soccer/tag/basically have fun times. and int he holidays i sometimes work 9-5 sort of hours and just play games with them go on trips and stuff. Basically i get laughed at when i say i have to go to "work" because its more like playtime.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep!

Outside of School Care And Recreation:)

Basically in the school terms i go there after school and help kids with homework and then go play soccer/tag/basically have fun times. and int he holidays i sometimes work 9-5 sort of hours and just play games with them go on trips and stuff. Basically i get laughed at when i say i have to go to "work" because its more like playtime.

That's awesome, man. Not something I could see myself doing (I have a pretty short temper, even with kids), but it's cool you have a job you love. I'm still searching and it looks like I may get stuck in a Mervyns or a Pizza Hut, seeing as nobody else has called me back yet.

• Members

That's awesome, man. Not something I could see myself doing (I have a pretty short temper, even with kids), but it's cool you have a job you love. I'm still searching and it looks like I may get stuck in a Mervyns or a Pizza Hut, seeing as nobody else has called me back yet.

This job has done me wonders, i was quite shy before i started working, it has defanately brought me out of my shell. Some of the kids are darn awesome too, i have my boys that are just the mac daddy:thu:

• Members

Hey, if you want a job with steady hours, good pay, and interesting day-to-day. Go to a hospital and apply for a job doing transport

This entails taking patients from room to room. Whether it be in wheelchair, stretcher, or hospital bed (with wheels ;)) you will get to see alot of interesting people and medical cases.

About 20% of the pre-med students i am in school with are doing/have done this, though that may not be relevant to you its a great summer job and it pays well!!!!

Think about it man!

• Members

What is your name: Jeff

What is your age: 39

What is your Location: NOLA

What is your occupation: academic

What is your highest level of education: master's degree

What is your dream in life: to complete and sell a novel or a screenplay

What is your favorite guitar (that you own): Fender AVRI Hot Rod '52 Telecaster

What is your primary amp(s): Bogner Shiva, Fender Supersonic 1x12 combo

What is your favorite effect (only one): Right now I'm really loving my RC booster

Who is your favorite guitarist (only one): Too many to list, but I have a soft spot for guitarist/songwriter/singers

What is your favorite band (only one): Right now it has to be the Wipers (I've been venturing into a lot of old punk the last few years).

• Members

What is your name: William

What is your age: 8 days from 15

What is your Location: Houston, Texas

What is your occupation: Student

What is your highest level of education: Currently finshing sophomore year

What is your dream in life: I want to serve my God to the best of my ability... and learn everything about the guitar

What is your favorite guitar (that you own): My FirstAct

What is your primary amp(s): Enh, my FirstAct, again

What is your favorite effect: Delay

Who is your favorite guitarist: Mick Thomson

What is your favorite band: Dir en Grey

• Members

What is your name: Jacob

What is your age: I'll be 16 in 24 days.

What is your Location: New York City

What is your occupation: Student and dog walker.

What is your dream in life: To be a profession musician in a kick ass band. :)

What is your favorite guitar (that you own): My G&L.

What is your primary amp(s): A Fender Blues Junior.

What is your favorite effect (only one): My Deluxe Memory Man.

Who is your favorite guitarist (only one): Either Nels Cline or Jonny Greenwood.

What is your favorite band (only one): Radiohead

• Members

Jacob, i hate you. Just because of your amazing rig for your age! I don't even have a board to put my pedals on:(

Woah Radiohead does get ALOT of Love here!

Billy Corgan's getting some loving too. He has at least as many nods.

• Members
^ Ya just check it out. If the gas isnt worth it, then the job obviously isnt these days ({censored}ing Bush).

Guitar shop would have been my ideal job at your age though
:thu:

Either way, good luck mate!

Thanks for the good wishes :wave:

What's it like working in a loony bin? Fun or disturbing?

• Members

OMFG!!! Is that seriously considered decent pay in the states???

Most people I know in Australia won't work for less then $12-$15 an hour....

I complain about being on $37 an hour......

Minimum wage in California is $8.00/hr and that's pretty much all I can hope for as a teenager getting a summer job.

• Members

What is your name: Eric

What is your age: 25

What is your Location: Washington

What is your occupation: Self employed (pedal slave)

What is your highest level of education: College certificate program thing

What is your dream in life: Have a small house with a large garden/mini farm with my wife, a few kids, and a mellow small business for the income

What is your favorite guitar (that you own): I only have a squier strat with a tele neck pickup only. will be turned into a jazzmaster soon

What is your primary amp(s): currently a 386 chip amp, soon a analog behringer modeller

What is your favorite effect (only one): booster

Who is your favorite guitarist (only one): no man

What is your favorite band (only one): shins, fetch if i know, prolz a local band or something

• Members

Minimum wage in California is $8.00/hr and that's pretty much all I can hope for as a teenager getting a summer job.

Realistically, things "seem" to be a lot cheaper in the states, so the wage probably equals out.

On the other hand, living expenses, rent, etc seem to be the same or more in a lot of cases.

• Members

Realistically, things "seem" to be a lot cheaper in the states, so the wage probably equals out.

Yeah, I imagine it's difficult to get by on $8/hr when "petrol" is $9 a gallon ($2.20 a liter or whatever).

• Members

Ah, well here in Florida is much less than that so imagine a bit of a bump from that. Its worth googling your closest hospital and checking out some info about the job :idk:

Give it a shot man, this could lead you down a whole different life that you never had dreamed of.

I was a Psychology major Sophomore who was going to switch to a music theory major when i got this job about 3 years ago and now i am applying to medical school and my life has completely changed.....funny how life is :):blah:

• Members

What is your name:Oscar

What is your age:26

What is your Location:Chino CA

What is your occupation:Waiter

What is your highest level of education:College Drop Out

What is your dream in life:A nice quiet life.

What is your favorite guitar (that you own):Maton MS2000 DLX

What is your primary amp(s):Ampeg VT-22

What is your favorite effect (only one):Overdrive

Who is your favorite guitarist (only one): Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys

What is your favorite band (only one):Cursive

:wave:

• Members

What is your name: Jon Handley

What is your age: 21

What is your Location: St Louis County

What is your occupation: UPS Supervisor

What is your highest level of education: Associates working on Bachelors

What is your dream in life: Make guitar pedals and record music

What is your favorite guitar (that you own): Breedlove Atlas

What is your primary amp(s): Ampeg VT-22

What is your favorite effect (only one): SCOD

Who is your favorite guitarist (only one): Josh Homme

What is your favorite band (only one): Tool

• Members

On the other hand, living expenses, rent, etc seem to be the same or more in a lot of cases.

Few people would actually live on $9 or $10 an hour, especially in California. That's a starting wage for unskilled workers, and about what you'd expect to make working at McDonalds. It would be a decent income if you were living at home with your parents, but you couldn't even pay rent on a small apartment on those wages.

What really sucks about those low wage jobs is that most of them don't give you a full 40 hours a week. Under California law, if you work full time then your employer has to provide benefits like medical insurance, which costs more than $400 per employee. That's hard to justify for an employee who is only making $1600 a month before taxes.

I think what ChaseA17 was saying was that $8.75 to $9.75 isn't bad, when most unskilled jobs are only paying $8.00.

BTW, if anyone lives in the SF Bay Area and wants to earn $$$ building pedals send me a PM.

• Members

What is your name: Jack

What is your age: 22

What is your Location: Stumptown, OR

What is your occupation: Assistant Manager at Schuck's Auto Supply

What is your highest level of education: 2 years of college.... Dropout

What is your dream in life: To be able to pay rent and buy groceries with the money earned playing music.

What is your favorite guitar (that you own): 1980 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

What is your primary amp(s): Sovtek Mig50 through a VT 4X12 with 50W Eminence.

What is your favorite effect (only one):Phaser... Thick Phaser

Who is your favorite guitarist (only one): Mike Einziger

What is your favorite band (only one): The Beatles

:wave:

Archived