DIY Projects

• Members

So summer has officially started, and im bored out of my mind.

Im in search of some good DIY Projects related to guitar/effects.

Can anyone recommend me some good projects?

im really interested in anything.

:whisper:"this might not be the right place to post this"

• Members

Rehousing stuff is always fun..

Ive done one so far and i'm working on another, which is the Danelectro Chicken Salad..

I rehoused my Holy Grail:

IMG_0280.jpg

Making True Bypass loop boxes is always fun, ive made a bunch of them.. Not super expensive to do and they come in handy!!

Ive got a 4 loop box and a single currently.. (metal strip and the red pedal on the far right)

IMG_0443.jpg

• Members

Some cool circuits I've built recently or want to built or just look interesting:

Runoffgroove Sili-face 2

Runoffgroove Peppermill

RAT (possible mods include changing clipping diodes or the ruetz mod)

Beavis Trotsky Drive

TB looper (making it a feedback loop is an easy and worthwhile mod)

Orman Mini-Booster

ZV*x circuits are often fun and pretty easy builds. Fuzz is fun to play with if you want to mess with circuits.

• Members

Although it may be viewed as contrived these days, the 808 clones out there are cool w/ all the different mods you can do to them. If you like that circuit, it's a lot of fun tweaking the various components.

All the other stuff mentioned is worthwhile too.

• Members

i guess i forgot to mention that i have never build/modded a pedal before.

but i really want to get into it.

any cheap pedal builds out there?

BYOC and General Guitar Gadgets are the easiest kits IMO. A Distortion+ kit is pretty basic. Kits are great ways to start.

• Members

easiest from GGG is probably this

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=145&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

but thats not an effect.

Easiest effect would have to be

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=131&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

Or the distortion+, but that doesnt come in a kit from GGG. I never ordered from BYOC because they are a bit more expensive.

And I think they are some of the cheapest too, like you said. Ordering parts can be a little daunting for someone who doesnt know anything about electronics, then soldering them on breadboard can be even harder, so I recommend a kit. The BYOC site is now giving free 'confidence boosters' with their stuff, but you will have to ask someone else about them.

• Members
easiest from GGG is probably this

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=145&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

but thats not an effect.

Easiest effect would have to be

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=131&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

Or the distortion+, but that doesnt come in a kit from GGG. I never ordered from BYOC because they are a bit more expensive.

And I think they are some of the cheapest too, like you said. Ordering parts can be a little daunting for someone who doesnt know anything about electronics, then soldering them on breadboard can be even harder, so I recommend a kit. The BYOC site is now giving free 'confidence boosters' with their stuff, but you will have to ask someone else about them.

ah, not bad.
thanks guys. :wave:
ill have to see if i can build one of these.

• Members

The Stratoblaster looks like a good first kit:

its only $38. i havent built one but ive heard good things about the circuit. its always good to have a boost pedal too. they also sell a LPB1 clone kit for the same price and it is even simpler... but you can buy a new LPB1 for the same price, so whats the point.

so yeah, stratoblaster $38

should be fun.

• Members
Rehousing stuff is always fun..

Ive done one so far and i'm working on another, which is the Danelectro Chicken Salad..

I rehoused my Holy Grail:

IMG_0280.jpg

Making True Bypass loop boxes is always fun, ive made a bunch of them.. Not super expensive to do and they come in handy!!

Ive got a 4 loop box and a single currently.. (metal strip and the red pedal on the far right)

IMG_0443.jpg

where does one get the metal strip for a 5 loop box?

Archived