What's up with the EHX logo?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

its a cherub.

fro the "Hierarchy of a Angels" wiki:

"The Cherubim (singular "Cherub") are beyond the throne of God; they are the guardians of light and of the stars. It is believed that, although they are removed from man's plane of reality, the divine light that they filter down from Heaven still touches the lives of living things.

They have four faces: one of a man, ox, lion, and eagle. The ox-face is considered the "true face", as later on in Ezekiel the ox's face is called a cherub's face (Chapter 10). They have eight conjoined wings covered with eyes, and they have ox's feet.

Cherubim are considered the elect beings for the purpose of protection. Cherubim guard the way to the tree of life in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:24) and the throne of God (Ezekiel 28:14-16).[citation needed]

Their rank among angels is uncertain but they are always categorized in the First Sphere. Some believe them to be an order or class of angels; others hold them to be a class of heavenly beings higher than angels. Cherubim are said to have perfect knowledge of God, surpassed only by the love of the Seraphim.

The Cherubim are mentioned in Genesis 3:24 [4]; Ezekiel 10:17

• Members

The logo is called the Ram's Head.

Whether it looks like one or not is another story.

It's been around since the late sixties. It was painted by an artist friend of Mike Matthews. He just liked it and started using it as the company's logo.

Or so I've been told.

• Members
The logo is called the Ram's Head.

Whether it looks like one or not is another story.

It's been around since the late sixties. It was painted by an artist friend of Mike Matthews. He just liked it and started using it as the company's logo.

Or so I've been told.

maybe the guy who drew it was called 'Ram' :lol:

"what shall we use for a logo"

"oh, what about Ram's Head drawing"

"yeah, we'll use Ram's head"

• Members

Maybe Mike Matthews got sick of people asking him what it was so he rammed his head against the wall in aggravation and after coming to said, "rams head"

Seriously though, there was an interview on the web somewhere with Mike, probably on The EH Man's site, about how it was just a drawing a friend of his did that he liked.

• Members

I just got an e-mail back from EHX and apparently GraphicFuzz heard right...

"The logo is commonly referred to as a Ram's Head. The logo is actually a painting that was done by an artist friend of Mike Matthews in the 60's. Mike thought it would make an interesting logo for the Electro-Harmonix products."

The exact words out of the mail.

I left the rest of the email out, since it's all about how I'm such a great musician, and that they're so proud that I play with their pedals. Also a business proposal that I have to do a commercial for them, and in exchange I get every EHX pedal available for free.

I just left that part out. I'd like to stay modest. :)

• Members

"The logo is commonly referred to as a Ram's Head."

Right...

The logo is actually a painting that was done by an artist friend of Mike Matthews in the 60's. Mike thought it would make an interesting logo for the Electro-Harmonix products.

And that's great, but what was the painting supposed to be? I think that's the question. It's referred to as the Ram's Head, even though it isn't a ram's head, so what actually is it? What was the artist trying to paint / draw? An organic man of leaves? A Hobbit? Medusa? A May Queen peeking through a hedgerow?

• Members

I left the rest of the email out, since it's all about how I'm such a great musician, and that they're so proud that I play with their pedals. Also a business proposal that I have to do a commercial for them, and in exchange I get every EHX pedal available for free.

I just left that part out. I'd like to stay modest.
:)

You to eh? They're handing out those offers like candy nowadays. Anything to get their name out I guess.

• Members

I just got an e-mail back from EHX and apparently GraphicFuzz heard right...

"The logo is commonly referred to as a Ram's Head. The logo is actually a painting that was done by an artist friend of Mike Matthews in the 60's. Mike thought it would make an interesting logo for the Electro-Harmonix products."

I just left that part out. I'd like to stay modest.
:)

Nice! Thanks for the response, and your obvious modesty ;). That sounds like a cool offer, that I would definitely go for. How do you get EHX to ask you to do commercials for them?