Brand-Buying - Anyone Do It?

gambit

• Members

i've just pulled the trigger on a Carl Martin Crush Zone based on absolutely no experience of it, some hear'say about it being 'a bit like a Rat but different'.. and i have absolute confidence its going to be great and useable.

after trying the Red Repeat and Surf Trem, i was sold after the first few seconds of playing them.. i picked my jaw up off the floor and was happy to pay 'real shop' prices to take them home with me right there and then.

i have no leaning towards any pedal manufacturers, and usually avoid paying street prices like you wouldn't believe, but Carl Martin have just nailed it with everything in that classic series. its like they made them just for me :love::freak::rolleyes:

has anyone else had this? where your taste/sonic preferences are matched by a company or series of pedals?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends on the amount of pedals we're talking here. I could probably go TS-9, CS-9, AD-9 for a nice Ibanez mini-board, and similarly a Boss mini-board would be quite feasible - but I don't think there is 1 brand that could give me 2 good OD's, a fuzz, a trem, a chorus, and a delay that I would really like - just because I really want certain features from certain pedals, and it's hard to get all those different things from one manufacturer.

I do like the look though.

• Members

I dig EHX for the innovation and turn to them for creative tools.

I love boss pedals because they last and I don't have time to tweak forever but I do use pedals a lot and I don't like them dying on me.

Ultimately it comes down to sound and price, I'm never going to pay 800 dollars for a great amazing pedal...never. But I'm not going to limit myself to boss, ehx, or any other brand.

• Members

I do buy by brand sometimes--sometimes unheard, if I can't find a local store that carries the product, sometimes it's piss into the wind and see what happens. I tend to read a large cross-section of reviews on things and use that as a bit of an indicator, as well. I'm not a brand exclusivist, though....but I do love all of MXR's modulation.

• Members

Yeah, if it's a steal. I've bought several Danelectro pedals, for instance, because I have four or five that I really love and trust them to produce good stuff on the whole. But I only "blind buy" if there's a big sale or something, never full price.

Other than that, though, the only one I can think of is the George Lynch Dragon Wah, but that was based on previous experience with Morley optical wahs that led me to believe they kick ass, the presence of a "Wow" switch which sounded neat, an inexpensive/competitive price, and (though to a lesser degree, since his Wahs forever have been Budda wahs) an endorsement from an artist I dig.

Oh, wait, I impulse bought the {censored} out of a Peavey Windsor because it came up on clearance for $180 brand new, but that turned out great :thu:

Other than that, though I have bought without trying, I haven't bought anything without extensive product research and listening to clips.

Archived