compressors!

RideAway

• Members

I believe I'm in the market for a compressor. Recently I've gotten into some tapping, but I'm doing it with cleans and I need some kind of volume boost. I've been using my OD for a makeshift fix when we play live but it really sounds like {censored}, but it gets the job done. I'm wanting to fix this.

second off is that cheating? Should I just suck it up and tap harder? I'm completely serious here. I'm not trying to troll or anything dumb like that. For the part I'm strumming a barre chord, letting the notes ring, and then tapping out a melody type thing over the top. Just throwing it in if it helps.:idk:

I play with a lot of cleans, and I'd like to say my budget is about 125-150, but cheaper is definitely nicer. I'm not looking for botique pedals or anything, but it'd be nice if it sounded decent enough to hold onto for a while.

quick side question too, I was talking to this dude and he showed me a mesa distortion pedal and said it sounded really good. Just curious on the name of it, kinda forgot.

• Members

Compressing can definitely help with clean tapping, but so can technique. The MXR Dyna Comp is my go-to cheap compressor, and it can be modded if you know how to solder, to being really sweet.

You are probably thinking of the V-Twin, by the way

• Members

Compressing can definitely help with clean tapping, but so can technique.

I think that's an important point

a lot of the dedicated touchstylists don't use compression

Bob Culbertson and Kevin Keith wre both kind enough to answer some questions for me (with similar insights - they were pretty basic questions)

Bob mentioned 'think of you fingers like little hammers and don't think so much about hitting hard, but hitting fast to get more response'

tappistry (I think it's dot org) is a touchstyle specific community - so going there is prob good resource

but no, it's not cheating and, given, you are going to be tapping only partially (with strums and all) level control might be needed

upward compression (that's what yo get when you mix the dry back in like on the tone press) - I suspect might be really useful to ya as the artifacts of downward compression/make up gain (which can be useful itself n the right context) might not be ot your liking

• Members

thanks for the input guys. yeah I looked at the tone press and it looks pretty nifty. The local shops around here don't carry it but the youtube videos have me just about sold.

Just curious what the mod for the Dyna comp does? I can handle a soldering iron pretty decently, so it's not a problem.

Archived