Had a band practice in a new rehearsal spot last night...

• Members

Seemed alright at first glance when I booked the session; and it was a great price. I wasn't particularly fussed that the whole 'studio' was basically a corrigated steel hut on a trading estate, nor that the entire interior had a look of being constructed by one stoned guy who had bought B&Q's entire surplus of plywood and MDF. But, hey, he tried...and fair play to him the 2nd floor didn't collapse underfoot - despite some minor panics.

I really don't think I'll be using these guys again however, mainly because he turned up 20 minutes late.

The icing on the cake, however was that he'd previously told us that we could use some decent equipment that's currently being stored by people there... i.e. a dual rec or jcm 800 half stack. Fine, I thought. But, keeping with the theme of being underwhelmed; The guys storing the amps had collected them on the morning, leaving me with the decision between a Marshall AVT 50 half stack and a Marshall MG DFX 2 x 12 combo. Hmmm. Lame. Apparently his 'good' equipment was all in for repair.

I chose the Marshall AVT 50 because I had previous experience with the AVT series; I used to have one before I moved into tube territory. I set the amp up all fine, checked it powered up ok. Check. Footswitch absent, not such a big deal. Didn't want to use my pedalboard through this amp without the footswitch for channels so i brought out my trusty Boss GT-5 backup stuff. All set up fine, plug in to the amp and.......DEAD SILENCE. Grumble.

Couldn't see any obvious problems so I asked the guy if he knew of any problems, to which he shrugged, took a 4 second look and the amp and said; "I'll grab the MG combo"

Oh well.

We made the best of a bad job and rocked the place anyways.

• Members

I'm at uni roughly 100 miles from home, I have a room that can only feasibly accomodate my Peavey classic 20.. I wouldn't be popular if I brought my Mesa up and demolished the house!

true true. when i was in college i had my jcm800 half stack in my room. never really played it in there though except at the lowest of low volumes which kind of sucked. was great to have around when i needed it though.

• Members

To be fair, I could justify buying another amp that I can rehearse with, but money doesn't allow it at this moment in time!

is your mesa a head? if so then maybe a 212 cab would be in order. then it wouldn't take up as much room in your dorm and would be a lot easier to get in the car too.

if you weren't in the UK i would go ahead and suggest Avatar.

Archived