Valve Jr. and Multi Cabs question

• Members

Anyone know if the Valve Jr. head can run two cabs at once?

I have a Epiphone Valve Jr. head with the matching 16 ohm cab. I was thinking about adding another cab to run in tandem with it, but had concerns about hurting that little 5 watt head's feelings by asking too much out of it.

I should probably go to the amp forum with this one, but my neophobic tendencies keep me in the safety of the effects forum.

• Members

does it have more than 1 output for different ohms or a switch to select ohms?

Yeah, it has one each 4/8/16 ohm jacks. I could plug it in a try it, but if it burns up the head I'll be all sorts of colors of pissed (and not the English pissed/drunk, but the USA pissed/unhappy aka enraged).

• Members

Yeah, it has one each 4/8/16 ohm jacks. I could plug it in a try it, but if it burns up the head I'll be all sorts of colors of pissed (and not the English pissed/drunk, but the USA pissed/unhappy aka enraged).

no that's cool...

ok, does the 16ohm cab have another socket in the back or just the 1?

• Members

I don't think you're meant to plug in more than one speaker for those bad boys.

BUT you can probably run a cable out of the 8ohm jack for example, then split it and send it to two 16ohm cabs. You're kinda running them in parallel then. I think. . .

• Members

No, the cab has no external socket for chaining another cab.

damn! yeah that's what I was getting at..

on my laney cab I have a 'link' socket, if yours did you could link the 2 16ohm cabs and run them from the 8ohm output on the amp.

it seem the only was to to it would be to use different cabs or maybe it's possible to wire a link jack in the back of the cab you have.

• Members

I don't think you're meant to plug in more than one speaker for those bad boys.

BUT you can probably run a cable out of the 8ohm jack for example, then split it and send it to two 16ohm cabs. You're kinda running them in parallel then. I think. . .

actually your right I think...I'm not sure, I get confused with the series/parallel....so would chaining the cabs in series double the ohms or keep them the same?

• Members

safest thing might be to buy a 2x12"
:)

That's the wrong answer, because it's not the one I want to hear.

No, I get it. You and Lanefair (and I) are all thinking the same thing. I need a pair of matched cabs (8 or 16 ohm). I have the 16 ohm epi cab and some crap no name 8 ohm 10" cab that I wanted to hook up with it. Now I hate epiphone and everything they've done, doing and will do for not foreseeing that I wanted mismatching ohm cabs hooked up to a 5 watt head. Dicks.

• Members

actually your right I think...I'm not sure, I get confused with the series/parallel....so would chaining the cabs in series double the ohms or keep them the same?

I think chaining them in series double the ohm resistance. Running them in parallel halves it. At least that's how I remember it. I would google it but I'm not going to.

• Members

That's the wrong answer, because it's not the one I want to hear.

No, I get it. You and Lanefair (and I) are all thinking the same thing. I need a pair of matched cabs (8 or 16 ohm). I have the 16 ohm epi cab and some crap no name 8 ohm 10" cab that I wanted to hook up with it. Now I hate epiphone and everything they've done, doing and will do for not foreseeing that I wanted mismatching ohm cabs hooked up to a 5 watt head. Dicks.

:lol:

Does it say anything about running different combinations of cabs in the manual?

• Members

With two 16 ohm speakers, a series connection produces 32 ohms, while a parallel connection produces 8 ohms.

Now, if the first cab has a second jack wired in parallel to the first, you can use a speaker cable to link two cabs. They will then be connected in parallel (even though from the outside it looks like they're linked in series), and if both are 16 ohms, the load on the amp will be 8 ohms.

When combining speakers/cabs, you want them to have the same impedance to start with. That way, they will both receive the same amount of power when they're combined.

/Andreas

• Members

If you just split the signal from the amp, you'd send the hot signal (tip) to the tips of cabs A&B and you'd connect the ground of the amp to the grounds of cabs A&B. This would be a parallel connection.

If you sent the amp's hot signal to the tip of cabA, then the ground of cabA to the tip of cabB then the ground of cab B to the ground of the amp, that would be a series connection. I think .. . I think as someone said, parallel connections halve the total impedance and series connections double it. You'd really have to google all this before suing me.

• Members

:lol:

Does it say anything about running different combinations of cabs in the manual?

I don't recall anything in the manual/pamphlet, but I'll dig it out later and see if there's anything there. I remember the printed lit. being very sparse.

• Members

With two 16 ohm speakers, a series connection produces 32 ohms, while a parallel connection produces 8 ohms.

Now, if the first cab has a second jack wired in parallel to the first, you can use a speaker cable to link two cabs. They will then be connected in parallel (even though from the outside it looks like they're linked in series), and if both are 16 ohms, the load on the amp will be 8 ohms.

/Andreas

ahhhhh, thanks mate.

yeah, so my first answer was right....I thought so but I got confused thinking they might be series after all. So you could get a parralel jack added to the epi cab, or the other then run both at 8ohms....oops no because the other cab is 8 already.

Archived