Why do people care so much about low serial numbers?

SonicVI

• Members

I mean really, who cares if it was the 10th one made of hundreds? does that make it better somehow?

Resale. A lower serial number makes it more valuable to collectors. Why? I dunno.

Actually, a lower serial number probably increases the chances of the product being lesser quality. You often don't discover problems with the parts or in the manufacturing process until you've built a number of them. The longer you build them, the more you iron out the wrinkles. After building around 50 of the same pedals we've made at least a half dozen minor changes to our chassis design, and have changed our manufacturing procedures at least four times. The earlier pedals sound the same as the later ones, but there are small physical differences between some of them. The later ones are all more consistent. Maybe it's the uniqueness of the lower serial numbers that appeals to collectors.

The whole gear collectors market has me a little mystified.

• Members

It's not always the case, sometimes people realize that there is a pinnacle period in a piece of gear's history, like with Les Paul's, '58s and '59s are worth much more than '52s and '54s. I think similar things are said about fender amps, and some pedals like big muffs.

• Members

Resale. A lower serial number makes it more valuable to collectors. Why? I dunno.

Actually, a lower serial number probably increases the chances of the product being
lesser
quality. You often don't discover problems with the parts or in the manufacturing process until you've built a number of them. The longer you build them, the more you iron out the wrinkles. After building around 50 of the same pedals we've made at least a half dozen minor changes to our chassis design, and have changed our manufacturing procedures at least four times. The earlier pedals sound the same as the later ones, but there are small physical differences between some of them. The later ones are all more consistent. Maybe it's the uniqueness of the lower serial numbers that appeals to collectors.

The whole gear collectors market has me a little mystified.

it's kinda like a giant vicious cycle. those who put a higher value on lower serial numbers perpetuate the cycle by (potentially) driving the price up for the lower numbers....yet, if they were just discreet about it, in a parallel dimension they could've gotten what they wanted for cheaper.

i think i got that out right :freak:

oh and i do agree with your second paragraph....as the production run carries on, i would think the actual production "quirks" would iron themselves out.

• Members

It's those production quirks that produce the coveted "classic" sound. When the bugs are corrected, the gadget is said to be sterile-sounding...

in some cases sure. in other cases issues are solved and / or improved.

i suppose in the end it depends on each individual's perception & opinion.

:idk:

• Members

It's those production quirks that produce the coveted "classic" sound. When the bugs are corrected, the gadget is said to be sterile-sounding...

Sure, that's probably true in some cases.

In our case, we didn't change any component values, so the tone was the same throughout the series. Our first enclosures weren't masked in the proper places, so we had to grind the paint off with a dremel to make sure that the chassis mounted parts would ground properly. Also, the holes for the screws that bolt the two halves of the enclosure together were too tight, and didn't account for the slop in sheet metal fab, so we had them elongated. On the first boxes we had to open these holes up with a dremel. The rectangular hole for the slide switch was also too narrow on the first boxes.

In the manufacturing procedures there were wires that were called out too long or too short, and not routed in an optimal fashion. There were also places where it called for soldering a wire onto a lug when another wire needed to be soldered to the same lug later in the procedure. Now it just says to attach the wire but not solder it until all of the wires have been attached to the lug.

Some of the specs in the test procedures were also a little off, as our reference PCB wasn't really "centerline" in some areas. If we'd stuck to the original test specs then we'd have rejected a lot of perfectly good boards.

I don't think the later pedals are better or worse than the earlier ones. They're just more consistent.

• Members

Amp Surgeon hit some of it on the head. I am often slightly wary of buying a new boutique pedal, and thus ending up with a low serial number, before there has been a chance to work the bugs out that are discovered over time. Said another way, I want to see some field testing before I jump on.

Recently, there was a lot of enthusiasm about a particular boutique pedal on here, and a number of bugs were discovered early on that needed correcting. The end result appears to be an awesome pedal, but I am sure glad I was not an early adopter.

And before someone asks, no I will not name the maker/pedal. I am not interested in slinging mud, just using this as an analogy.

• Members

Amp Surgeon hit some of it on the head. I am often slightly wary of buying a new boutique pedal, and thus ending up with a low serial number, before there has been a chance to work the bugs out that are discovered over time. Said another way, I want to see some field testing before I jump on.

Recently, there was a lot of enthusiasm about a particular boutique pedal on here, and a number of bugs were discovered early on that needed correcting. The end result appears to be an awesome pedal, but I am sure glad I was not an early adopter.

And before someone asks, I will soon name the maker/pedal. I am interested in slinging mud.

Fix'd.

So, what's the name?

Archived