Thinking about a new amp -- Vox AC15CC or Tiny Terror

Crxsh

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say tiny terror, much better quality amp IMO....plus you could run it into a 2x12"

but I'd still rather have a 20w lionheart head.

The lionheart is probably a bit more than my budget would allow. And yeah, I'd probably get an Avatar 1x12 or 2x12 for the TT.

• Members

My opinion of the AC15CC is not good. I was very disappointed in how my CC1X (the one with the Blue speaker) sounded. I thought it was complete {censored}e compared to how my much missed AC15TBX sounded. Absolute night and day in terms of sound between the two. I've been through a few levels of vox amps ranging from the Valvetronix to the Pathfinder to the Cambridge and up to the AC15TBX, and I can safely say that the AC15CC1X was the worst sounding Vox of the lot. A huge disappointment. I sold that and bought a Laney VC15 and it totally kick's the Vox's ass in every way. Better sounding, better built, better reverb, effects loop, far easier to change valves, more flexible EQ and tonal options...

I haven't tried the Tiny Terror but it seems to get some good reviews. It also seems to be something that's got good modding ability too: --> http://www.juleamps.com/the_amps/terror.html

• Members

Of the two, I'd get the TT. I looked at the AC15, but got a Traynor YCV50Blue for the same price. Better built, two channels, better warranty, and imo, better sound. A hybrid of sorts between a Fender and a Marshall.

• Members

What is a used TT running right now? Around $450, yeah?

What about AC15's?

If you can get a TBX at a decent price, hit it. The prices have gone up since the Chinese CC's came in but every now and then you can find one at a really good price in the UK and I'm sure the situation is similar in the US.

• Members

I'd go for the lionheart as well if I could. I got a TT which I love but due to too many amps, It doesn't see enough usage lately. It's a great amp as long as you don't run the pre-amp past 1 o'clock and then run pedals. Past that, it "TEH BROOTULZ!" :mad:

• Members

I sold that and bought a Laney VC15 and it totally kick's the Vox's ass in every way.

HeartfeltDawn, i think you know what's coming.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry im pestering the {censored} outta you, but few people have the chance to compare the two amps properly having owned both, especially since not a lot of US people buy the VC15.

:wave:

• Members

The TT won't go as clean as the Vox, but it will have more of a growl at higher gain settings. Running a TT through an Avatar 2x12 with Greenbacks will probably be the better amp.

All depends what you need. Personally would go for the TT though. If you go Vox, go AC30 or nothing.

• Members

HeartfeltDawn, i think you know what's coming....
:mad:

Sorry im pestering the {censored} outta you, but few people have the chance to compare the two amps properly having owned both, especially since not a lot of US people buy the VC15.

:wave:

I haven't forgotten you and my Laney review! I'm building up to something big because I might be selling the VC15, despite only having bought it two weeks ago. Why sell it when it's such a great amp? Because I got a killer deal on this. It's arriving tomorrow so I figured I could do a big long piece.

0651eec42b74752c5b32e513ef33fc2d.jpg

• Members

I modded my AC15CC1X but it was pretty awesome, I thought.

They are very different amps.

really? I'm pretty sure the TT is a AC15 power amp with a bit of a hot-rodded cascading gain stage preamp.

Personally I thought the AC15CC was pretty dang nice sounding, at least as nice as the AC30CC. Oh well, we all like different stuff.

• Members

I haven't forgotten you and my Laney review! I'm building up to something big because I might be selling the VC15, despite only having bought it two weeks ago. Why sell it when it's such a great amp? Because I got a killer deal on this. It's arriving tomorrow so I figured I could do a big long piece.

0651eec42b74752c5b32e513ef33fc2d.jpg

How much did you get it for?

I tried one of those and it was amazing. although I wish it had a tidbit more gain but that's nothing a boost pedal can't sort out!

• Members

really? I'm pretty sure the TT is a AC15 power amp with a bit of a hot-rodded cascading gain stage preamp.

Personally I thought the AC15CC was pretty dang nice sounding, at least as nice as the AC30CC. Oh well, we all like different stuff.

Maybe I just got a duffer of an AC15CC. I swapped the valves out, changed the stock valves for JJ's and it didn't affect the sound. I even swapped speakers. It just didn't sound good. Details like the reverb are impossible to change though without a total swapout. It's a really awful sounding verb.

If I hadn't heard an AC15 before, I'd still think the CC sounded bad. Having owned the AC15TBX and loved that so much just damned the CC even more. I don't go slating gear unless I've used it. When a 30 watt Valvetronix amp sounds better than the CC, something is wrong with the CC for me.

However, it does seem that the AC30CC's do sound a lot closer to the 'original' AC30 sound than the AC15CC does to the 'original' AC15. I haven't tried the AC30CC so can't judge.

• Members

Ahh ok, that's cool.

Those lionhearts look fantastic, and you got it at such a killer price! nice one.

Archived