How do you use delay into an overdriven amp without an effects loop?

• Members

I have a Marshall JMP MKII 100w head and a Boss DD6 delay pedal. The amp has volume, master volume, and two inputs- high and low gain- and the crunch and lead sounds from the high gain input are awesome. However, the amp doesn't have an effects loop, and using the delay pedal makes the sound super muddy.

Am I just out of luck without an effects loop? The only alternative I've found is to run the amp clean and put a distortion pedal before the delay in my effects chain, which sounds pretty good but not using the Marshall's own overdriven sound sort of defeats the purpose of having a Marshall in the first place.

• Members

You simply can't! The only thing you can do is put all the delay pedals in a bag and into your storage till you either get an effects loop equipped amp...or mail those bad boys to me!!

Edit: But in all honesty, just play it through the amp, a little muddy tone never hurt nobody.

• Members

Get a echo style delay, one that makes your delays come out with a lot less volume then your dry signal. I used to use a vs h2o with into my jcm 800 with good results. Try the cheap ibanez one, it has an echo setting. It'd be even better if you found one that let you control the level of your delay.

• Members

I have a Marshall JMP MKII 100w head and a Boss DD6 delay pedal. The amp has volume, master volume, and two inputs- high and low gain- and the crunch and lead sounds from the high gain input are awesome. However, the amp doesn't have an effects loop, and using the delay pedal makes the sound super muddy.

Am I just out of luck without an effects loop? The only alternative I've found is to run the amp clean and put a distortion pedal before the delay in my effects chain, which sounds pretty good but not using the Marshall's own overdriven sound sort of defeats the purpose of having a Marshall in the first place.

Welcome to the only vintage Marshall fail:wave: The only way is to mod your JMP Marshall but then i would have to kill you. :)

• Members

Get a echo style delay, one that makes your delays come out with a lot less volume then your dry signal. I used to use a vs h2o with into my jcm 800 with good results.

I do that as well with my H2O, and it sounds pretty good.

But a straight up delay pedal doesn't really work that well in front of high gain, as shown.....

[YOUTUBE]WOFES_OFgWs[/YOUTUBE]

It might work for slow sustained compressed lead lines, but apart from that, delay + distortion = :freak: .

Whereas Distortion + Delay = :love:

• Members

the only way I know to make that work in theory is to use an attenuator/dummy load with an FX LOOP. However I don't know of one in production but I always thought it would be great to manufacture one.

• Members

use an analog delay with tap tempo. Analog ones work better with distortion.

Your best chance for that would be the boss re-20 who does a great analog delay emulation.

Don't go analog threadstarter, they sound {censored} in front of a high gain amp.

• Members

Slave it into another amp, and cabinet or 2 using a load box, and run a stereo, W/D, or W/D/W setup.

• Members

I have no experience whatsoever with vintage Marshalls but couldn't you bridge the 2 inputs? I've seen lots of guitarists do this. So I'm thinking of putting the delay between the output of one channel before the input of the other channel. Yeah I'm a n00b to this so be gentle if I'm wrong.

Archived