keyboard/synth for Pink Floyd sounds?

barneyc4

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm a guitarist in search of a keyboard/synth for some Pink Floyd covers that im about to record. I'm looking for something under $1000.

What keyboard/synth would you recommend me?

Think of "Shine on you crazy diamond" and "Comfortably Numb"

• Members

Hello. When I was with a band we did, "In The Flesh", Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb.

What I used:

In The Flesh: Yamaha S08

Run Like Hell: Yamaha S08, Alesis Ion

Comfortably Numb: Yamaha S08, Yamaha SY55

You would need something that can do Hammond B3 Organ, Solina Strings, Strings, Analog Synth...

IMO: Alesis Fusion or most any recent sample playback synth

Edit: I forgot that you could also use vsti synth plugins. There are some free cool String synthesizer vsti's. Actually, there are many free vsti's that could do the job.

Cheese Machine

I just found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Wright

• Members

I don't think i'll be going to VST route right now since I might use the keyboard/synth for live use in the future.

So the Alesis Fusion is the one?

dabowsa, I plan on buying one next month since I also need to finance a PRS.

• Members

Hello. When I was with a band we did, "In The Flesh", Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb.

What I used:

In The Flesh: Yamaha S08

Run Like Hell: Yamaha S08, Alesis Ion

Comfortably Numb: Yamaha S08, Yamaha SY55

You would need something that can do Hammond B3 Organ, Solina Strings, Strings, Analog Synth...

IMO: Alesis Fusion or most any recent sample playback synth

Edit: I forgot that you could also use vsti synth plugins. There are some free cool String synthesizer vsti's. Actually, there are many free vsti's that could do the job.

I just found this:

I'm thinking that I can go up to $1500 with the budget. Would you still recommed the Alesis fusion? Something simple and easy to get used to...

• Members

Sorry- Pink Floyd was disbanded before Kurzweil was making synths.

Remember, Kurz made samplers/PCM Romplers long before they made synths.

They primarily used:

Piano

Rhodes

Wurlie

Clav

B-3

Arp Solina String Ensemble

Minimoog

EML400

And I believe and EMS Synthi A

• Members

I saw Rick Wright last year during the David Gilmour tour (awesome act, especially Echoes ...). he seemed to have quite a minimal set up: B3 (with echo that still looked like an old tape echo as the Binson he used in the past...) was a real one, but then it seemed to me he had only one big synth: it seemed like it was wether: Oasys or Kurzweil or Yamaha. You should check the pics /reviews on the Brain Damage site

And during the previous tours (during the 90s) he was using Kurzweil (see on the Pulse DVD). In the end of the 80s you can see Korg M1 too (see the pics in the Nick Mason book)...

So for sure you don't need the 3 tons of vintage gear of the 70s set up ;-)

Good luck!

V

• Members

Keep it easy, buy a Motif ES6...you have all under your fingertips.

Especially with the Dave Polich Vintage Keys library (available through motifator.com - I'm not an affiliate, merely a satisfied customer).

For the Solina strings, I think you can come close by taking a synth strings patch, tune the filter frequency (LPF) to a just setting and throw some phaser on top of that. For CN (from the top of my head), you'd need some more realistic (i.e. acoustic) strings for the choruses and a somewhat softer pad for the verses.

I have owned a Yamaha S08 since a couple of weeks. The Solina strings in there (factiory settings user bank) are quite usable, as is the synth trumpet lead (essentially a saw lead). Both those sounds make up a quite good "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" intro. The organs are a little less on that board, but the Wurly (pretty essential for DSOTM and WYWH songs) is OK when EQ'd correctly.

I think a Motif (or Motif ES or MO) can satisfy all your needs. The same goes for a Fantom. I never have played a Korg for a long time and certainly no Kurzweil, but I guess those'll do as well.

• Members

They primarily used:

Piano

Rhodes

Wurlie

Clav

B-3

Minimoog

EML400

I believe rick wright likes the kurzweil digital synths beacause they recreate his old analog tones best.

• Members

They primarily used:

Piano

Rhodes

Wurlie

Clav

B-3

Minimoog

EML400

Exactly! Plus lots of outboard FX.

A Fusion or any modern rompler should fit the bill nicely but remember to get a bunch of outboard phasers, ringmods, leslies, etc...

• Members

I'm confused now lol.

Should I go for the Kurzweil, Elesis, Yamaha, Korg? There are so many options now.

Hey, Have you gone to any music stores to test/play any synths or keyboards? This is where you can really judge for yourself if any of these keyboards mentioned will be good for you.

Archived