Howard Davis DEM Mods - Highly Recommended!!!

• Members

I just got my Deluxe Electric Mistress back from Howard. Had the Deluxe to Vintage Mod, Volume Correction, and Impedance Increase done. When I bought it I thought it was cool but just to thick and dull on the high end, especially with fuzz/distortion. Plus the volume drop was verging on annoyance. Now the highs are back and if anything there's a slight volume increase. Before when I'd use it with a fuzz it sounded like a thick swooshy blanket over my amp and not really close to that Gilmour sound I wanted. But now I've got Animals/Wall tones all day long. Anyone who has one and isn't quite satisfied with it I highly recommend getting these mods done.:thu:

• Members

I'm pretty sure it's a little more involved than that.
:rolleyes:

Seeing how the man designed the pedal. Yes i would assume there is some things changed that are not just trim pots. If it was just trim pots being turned.. I'm not exactly that counts as a "mod"

• Members

people tend to overlook howard davis because his mods don't really seem exciting. but if you think about it, he designed the pedal. if you want it to perform to it's utmost abilities he can do that. he even takes things like the deluxe memory man which are now using different chips and makes them perform just like the original versions. it's not exciting and glamorous but he's good at what he does.

and yes i have had him do work for me. i got a DMM that was dead on arrival and he brought it back to life, aligned it and increased the headroom for me. all for 100 bucks. it was well worth it and if i ever need work done on it again i'll send it right back to him.

• Members

I'm not bashing HD at all, and i'm sure your unit sounds awesome!!

From the description you made,

"I thought it was cool but just to thick and dull on the high end, especially with fuzz/distortion. Plus the volume drop was verging on annoyance. "

it sounds like you could have fixed/changed most of these problems by simply adjusting the internal trim pots, thats all.

Just trying to save you a few bucks, but it sounds like it was money well spent!!

:D

• Members

I'm pretty sure it's a little more involved than that.
:rolleyes:

Darn right it is!

There are a few different models of the Deluxe Mistress. All have different PC board layouts and minor differences in circuitry. As a result, the mod work and its price varies somewhat, depending on which model it is. I ALWAYS do a trimpot alignment after any repair or mod work, but the trimmers alone cannot be used to do what the mods accomplish. Mods involve the addition, removal, and changing of specific components.

Thank you all for the compliments. I take pride in my reputation, and intend to continue to satisfy all customers.

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

Darn right it is!

There are a few different models of the Deluxe Mistress. All have different PC board layouts and minor differences in circuitry. As a result, the mod work and its price varies somewhat, depending on which model it is. I ALWAYS do a trimpot alignment after any repair or mod work, but the trimmers alone cannot be used to do what the mods accomplish. Mods involve the addition, removal, and changing of specific components.

Thank you all for the compliments. I take pride in my reputation, and intend to continue to satisfy all customers.

Glad to see you showed up Howard - I was just about to chastise the OP for not posting a link to your website. :D:cop:

• Members

:thu:

Darn right it is!

• Members

^hey howard, could you do all of the above mods, plus an led and a jack to control the range knob with an expression pedal when in matrix mode?

DELUXE ELECTRIC MISTRESS MODS:

TOTAL BYPASS MOD

Total bypass can be done for any Deluxe Electric Mistress.

INPUT IMPEDANCE INCREASE MOD

This greatly reduces "tone sucking" due to pickup loading in both the bypass and effect-on modes. It is almost as effective as total bypass, but less costly.

BYPASS/EFFECT-ON VOLUME EQUALIZATION MOD

This fixes the volume drop that occurs in some units when switching from bypass to the effect-on mode with the footswitch.

SMOOTHER SWEEP MOD

This circuit mod automatically reduces the sweep range as the sweep rate is set faster, resulting in a much smoother sound at higher rates.

DELUXE TO VINTAGE MISTRESS MOD

This mod boosts the high frequency response of the Deluxe Electric Mistress to make it sound more like the vintage standard (non-deluxe) Electric Mistress.

NOISE REDUCTION MODS

If you have a noise problem with your Deluxe Mistress, describe the nature of the noise and I'll tell you about how much it can be reduced through circuit modification.

LED EFFECT-ON INDICATOR MOD

An LED can be added to indicate when the effect mode is activated.

Sorry, but the RANGE function cannot be controlled with a standard expression pedal.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't get it- do most owners of the Deluxe Electric Mistress have dud stock that requires modification?

I bought mine fairly recently from a music store on eBay, and it seems perfectly fine to me. It has a very rich effect, not dull at all.

• Members

I don't get it- do most owners of the Deluxe Electric Mistress have dud stock that requires modification?

I bought mine fairly recently from a music store on eBay, and it seems perfectly fine to me. It has a very rich effect, not dull at all.

yes, but have you ever heard an original (non deluxe) mistress, I have....and it blew me away.....but those things are rare and not cheap, so if you want those sounds Howard's mods are a cheap way of getting those sounds. The Deluxe's aren't 'duds' they just don't sound the same, that's the point of the mods...to make your DEM sound like one of these.....and sort any other things you might not be happy with. Like any mods to any pedals they aren't essential, but the 'improvements' can be done of you want them.

ElectricMistress.jpg

• Members

yes, but have you ever heard an original (non deluxe) mistress, I have....and it blew me away.....but those things are rare and not cheap, so if you want those sounds Howard's mods are a cheap way of getting those sounds. The Deluxe's aren't 'duds' they just don't sound the same, that's the point of the mods...to make your DEM sound like one of these.....and sort any other things you might not be happy with. Like any mods to any pedals they aren't essential, but the 'improvements' can be done of you want them.

ElectricMistress.jpg

:thu:

My '78 18v original and my '79 deluxe sound a bit different. The 18v has a slight volume drop, and the deluxe does not. The 18v is more trebley, and the deluxe is bassier. The 18v has more range in the rate knob than the deluxe - goes slower and faster.

One of the big advantages to having the Deluxe is the direct output, so it's easier to mix your dry and effected signal in 2 channels. It also has a much thicker (bassier) tone.

One of the big advantages to having the 18v is that it runs on batteries, and it's a smaller enclosure. It's also more rare, and therefore has a greater market value.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks Melx & Fender&EHX4ever for your replies to my posts.

I really like the thick, bassy, & warm tone of my DEM. It adds a lush richness to chorus effects, especially with my Fireball amp. In fact I like it better for chorus than my H2O!

Somehow I don't think it'd matter to get my DEM modded, I've been very happy with it for the last few months I've owned it. :)

I still use the H2O but that's now in the effects loop of my Roland Jazz Chorus 120, for a richer chorus plus echoing. The overall sound is quite bright though, glassy & bright.

The DEM sounds thicker & deeper, when used with the Fireball.

I can't wait to run the Jazz Chorus + H2O pedal, and the Fireball + DEM at the same time!! :love:

I just need to finish modding my Marshall cab :facepalm:

:idea:

Archived