octave / oscillating fuzz

pir

• Members

I'm looking for an "extreme" sounding octave and / or oscillating fuzz. Also, I do not want it to sound trebly or shrill. Does the Fulltone Octafuzz pedal fit the bill (for an octave fuzz)? Other pedals I am considering: Catalinbread V8, Devi Ever Destructo Noctavia, Dentone Black hole generator. I'm not too keen on the zvex fuzz factory, and the zvex octane is a bit out of my price range.

Any more suggestions?

thanks.

• Members

Fulltone Ultimate Octave

Fulltone OcatFuzz

Wattson Classics SuperFuzz

ZVex Wooly Mammoth

Fender Blender (but it might need a Volume Boost mod or you can add an EQ)

Ampeg Scrambler

Tone Factor Ultra Lord

• Members

Devi Ever VFM? Devi's site has pedals grouped by type. Quite a few octave up models... some are shrill, some not so much.

Yeah the VFM for octave up or the Disaster Fuzz for oscillating are probably better Devi pedals to look at. The DN does have a little more treble to it.

• Members

I'd also suggest the Disaster Fuzz, I was really wanting to get an oscillating pedal, but I decided to go with the MXR Blue Box, for my odd effects, instead of oscillation. I haven't gotten the Blue Box yet (In the mail), but I can't wait to get it.

• Members

Check out the Copilot Mantis 2 - insane glitchy octave down fuzz that lets you blend in some octave up

:wave:, another vote for the mantis 2, with the tune control cranked and the balance around 1-3 oclock and the intermod at 10-2 oclock you get some crazy oscillation when you let a note ring, it kinda sounds like a scifi super jet plane laser sound in 1930 horror movie, plus you can get some wacky octave down fuzz.

here's an example video (it doesnt do justice)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

also, FWIW, I am REALLY happy with my Subdecay Noise Box. It doesn't necessarily meet your stated requirements, but it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

the noise box is cool too, i tried one a couple of months ago it does the laser filtered synthy tones great, i only wished you could control the Frequency range with a exp pedal.

Also check the 4ms nocto loco and Midfi Glitch Computer and RNG for more oscillating fuzz, and the Devi Ever Disaster Fuzz plus the Dwarcraft Devices Great Destroyer

• Members

The Wattson Classic Superfuzz can do great octave stuff when playing above the 12 fret.

The Fix'd Fuzz can do octave stuff and oscillate using fuzz 2. And it has a tone knob to tune out the shrillness.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions! I listened to clips of many of the fuzzes mentioned, and I decided to order the Catalinbread V8 (mainly because of the thick mid-range, oscillation, and price). Some pedals in my near future: Sub-decay noise box, Glitch Computer (god, this thing is insane!), and the Nocto Loco.

• Members

HBE Ufo. Kinda the same as the Fulltone Ultimate octave as in you can use the fuzz without the octave (not vice-versa). I like the fuzz on the HBE better, in fact it's my favourite fuzz period. But with the octave engaged the Fulltone is more present. With the HBE it get's kinda lost in the mix. I also have a Foxrox CC2 which does the best octave-fuzz EVER, but very pricey.

• Members

You want the Nocto Loco.

Copilot FX's stuff is awesome as well.

Wow, a lot of pedals and variations. Not to my taste though.

And sadly, living in the UK = no unique and/or affordable boutique pedals.

There are actually three pedals I'm looking at on ebay, all from the USA and they all work out pretty cheap, even including postage. WTF?

Incidentally, I looked on the SIB website and apparently the old (black version) Nick Nitro doesn't work well with Fender amps, and I'm assuming that means the new SuperChamp XD?

And as a more pricy option, what about the Dunlop JH1B Jimi Hendrix Octave Fuzz or even the Octavio?

Archived