ATTN: Tiny Terror Owners

Crxsh

• Members

So... I just landed one and, needless to say, I'm VERY excited about it.

d747d3df.jpg

:love: :love: :love:

So, what do you all play these through?

I scoped out eBay and didn't find a whole lot... but I did find this and these. Thoughts?

Also, I know that Avatar cabs are SUPER popular... so if I sell a couple more things I could buy a new 1x12 ... but I can see the advantages of a 2x12 as well. Space is a little tight in the apartment here, but I could probably fit one (much to the disappointment of my wife).

And what speakers are you using? I'm thinking Greenback because of the low wattage, but that's just a guess.

Suggestions? Experience? Help me out.

• Members

Congrats man! I just got one a couple weeks ago. I play mine through my Peavey Classic 30 2x12 Cabinet. I have the head, but now I use the Tiny Terror instead. The speakers are stock Blue Marvel. Soon to be replaced with some greenbacks I think. Have fun.

• Members

I'd suggest a 2x12, it will sound a lot more full than a 1x12. Right now I'm using an Avatar Premier 2x12 with a Hellatone60 (V30) and Hellatone30 (G12H30) and it sounds gorgeous. The cab was originally meant for my Engl Powerball but I think it sounds great with the TT. Don't automatically assume lower wattage speakers will be better because the TT will have less clean headroom.

I assume that you will be using pedal distortion like I do.... the drawback is that I don't get to use the awesome amp gain as much as I'd like. My DMM doesn't sound too bad with amp gain but my phaser and DL4 sound pretty bad; not to mention you don't get loop versatility if all the loops are being distorted. I run the thing clean 95% of the time but it sounds great. I also replaced my V1 tube with a sovtek and it sounds a little brighter and has more clarity now.

• Members

I agree with JmanX. A 2x12 cab would sound a lot fuller. I also run mine clean for the sake of my pedals in front. I changed out the power tubes with some Mullards. I've been thinking about putting my Telefunken 12at7 in the V1 position. I haven't yet because I wasn't sure which one is v1. The left one?(if you were looking at the front of the amp)

• Members

I agree with JmanX. A 2x12 cab would sound a lot fuller. I also run mine clean for the sake of my pedals in front. I changed out the power tubes with some Mullards. I've been thinking about putting my Telefunken 12at7 in the V1 position. I haven't yet because I wasn't sure which one is v1. The left one?(if you were looking at the front of the amp)

I was told by Orange tech support that V1 is the preamp tube closest to the guitar input (farthest to the right).

I put a sovtek in it because it runs a little hotter and the cleans seem more chimer to my ears... I will eventually shell out more money for something better but this does the trick for me right now.

• Members

crxshdxmmy is a hcfx-only type of guy though. I've gotten more help here than I have in HCAF anyways.... that forum is full of metalheads and van halen wannabes.

This is true. I venture outside our friendly walls every now and again -- when something interesting catches my eye -- but I too have gotten NOWHERE in HCAF. I tried posting over there when I first started and found the types that JmanX described. Even since then I've tried asking a few questions over there ... but to no avail. If you're not talking about chicks or asking how to get teh br00talz out of your Engl/Framus/Mesa ... you're usually SOL.

• Members

I'd suggest a 2x12, it will sound a lot more full than a 1x12. Right now I'm using an Avatar Premier 2x12 with a Hellatone60 (V30) and Hellatone30 (G12H30) and it sounds gorgeous. The cab was originally meant for my Engl Powerball but I think it sounds great with the TT. Don't automatically assume lower wattage speakers will be better because the TT will have less clean headroom.

I assume that you will be using pedal distortion like I do.... the drawback is that I don't get to use the awesome amp gain as much as I'd like. My DMM doesn't sound too bad with amp gain but my phaser and DL4 sound pretty bad; not to mention you don't get loop versatility if all the loops are being distorted. I run the thing clean 95% of the time but it sounds great. I also replaced my V1 tube with a sovtek and it sounds a little brighter and has more clarity now.

I like your 2x12 suggestion. I was leaning that way, but unless I end up with a super deal off the bat, I might be stuck buying a 1x12 for the time being... especially if I buy new.

I'll do some more looking into speakers. I've only used Celestions in ext. cabs thus far (and an Eminence in my Blues Jr.) ... so I'll take a look and see what people are matching with the TT. Clean headroom is important though.

Also, I'm hoping that I might be able to get a little away from the pedal dirt with this amp and control the gain with my volume. I'll use a boost in front for sure, probably my DMM too ... but we'll see how it acts with what I've got to throw at it dirt-wise.

Currently Playing --

Zvex Box of Rock

Zvex Fuzz Factory

Skreddy Mayo

MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe

Crxsh Bxxst

Melxowtone (Coming Soon!)

• Members
crxshdxmmy is a hcfx-only type of guy though. I've gotten more help here than I have in HCAF anyways.... that forum is full of metalheads and van halen wannabes.

i'm originally from the HCAF but i have ventured out lately and have expanded into the FX section.

2x12 definitely. it would sound a lot fuller than a 1x12.

i would recommend an Orange 2x12 but if you want to get close.. the contemporary Avatar cabinets are close to them as far as dimensions go. the Orange 2x12s have vintage 30s in them.

i love Orange !

amps0021.jpg

amps0011.jpg

• Members
This is true. I venture outside our friendly walls every now and again -- when something interesting catches my eye -- but I too have gotten NOWHERE in HCAF. I tried posting over there when I first started and found the types that JmanX described. Even since then I've tried asking a few questions over there ... but to no avail. If you're not talking about chicks or asking how to get teh br00talz out of your Engl/Framus/Mesa ... you're usually SOL.

we all got are own stlye ( :cool: )

• Members
I'd probably go for a 2x12" but like this...

212.jpg

in orange tolex of course!!

if space is an issue - the standard side by side speakers would be best. that and i don't know of any companies that currently make those diagonal 2x12s in a 4x12 sized box. i know VHT and mesa used to make them.

• Members

I run my TT through a Lopo 1x12" with a WGS Veteran 30. The standard Lopo box is smaller than a normal 1x12" which keeps it as portable as possible - perfect match for the TT IMO. Other, bigger cabs look cooler, but aren't as easy to take along.

• Members

Congrats on the amp. I had a cab made for my Epi Valve Jr. some time ago by a guy with a company called EarCandy cabs: http://www.earcandycabs.com/ Pretty good quality, made to your specs, or follow some of his designs. Price was good too. You could probably get one with orange tolex to match the amp. I would vote 2x12 as well.

• Members

i've been very interested lately in the avatar vintage 112. i have the 212 version of it and it sounds huge. i would bet that the 112 with an open back would sound pretty damn big as far as 112s are concerned. maybe with a more full range speaker like a CL80 in it. i know you don't need all of that power for the tiny terror but that would make it more useable with other amps also.

it would definitly be a good balance of space saving and big sounding

• Members

I run my TT through a Lopo 1x12" with a WGS Veteran 30. The standard Lopo box is smaller than a normal 1x12" which keeps it as portable as possible - perfect match for the TT IMO. Other, bigger cabs look cooler, but aren't as easy to take along.

Is your Lopo 1x12 their standard 1x12 box with an open back? If so, does the open back have enough tight low end for the TT? I was under the impression that the TT sounds best through a closed back cab.

• Members

That's not completely true. Those guys do know quite a bit about speaker choices and such. Think about it: metal heads get their gain from amps, so they're crazy about them. They're gonna know a lot about the amps themselves and the speakers that the amps are played through. Don't discredit them that much.

Everyone here is on the AC30 bandwagon, lately (which is fine by me, but if you want a broader scope of knowledge, go to the amp forum...I get virtually no responses when I ask about the amp i have, which is a mesa dc-10, here).

Archived