Boss Blue Driver vs. Digitech Bad Monkey

• Members

Ok, i've been adivsed into adding a pedal infront of my Peavey Valveking to give it more gain, and tighten it up. So, i'm picking one up beofre I move back home, I've found 2 local sellers with good deals, but which is better.....

(I play progressive death metal)

* Boss Blue Driver - $45

OR

* Digitech Bad Monkey - $35

???????????????????????????????????????????

• Members

I've owned both, and prefer the BM. But the BD does have more gain to it, whereas the BM can probably hit a little lower with the separate bass cranked and crank the treble fairly high too. I wish more overdrive pedals would use seprate bass/treble controls.

• Members

How does a Boss Blues Driver compare to , say, an Ibanez Tube Screamer?

Seems to have less midrange, and more distortion. In fact I was told by a Boss dealer that the BD is really a distortion pedal more than an overdrive. If you want something more comparable to a TS pedal, the Boss OD-3 might be a better comparison. Less gain, and it doesn't have a midrange boost either.

The Bad Monkey though, is a heckuva good pedal though, especially for the price. I still have a BM, and I've returned or sold a Keeley TS-9, an OD-3, and a BD. The OD-3 is the only one I might end up rebuying.

• Members

Ive owned both...blues driver is on my current board and my bad monke was sold a while back,,,it served me well when I had SS amps but when I moved up to a DRRI the bad monkey just didnt cut it...the bad monkey is digitechs best od though, the rest of their od/distortion fleet is crap!

• Members

THEY ARE NOT IN THE SAME GAIN CATEGORY

-- dont read up on pedal sounds, the fanboys can sway you -- you need to try them out.

I got a bad monkey a long time ago and i really really like it ran across a BD for $35 and thought "what the hell" they are not related unless the BD is at lower gain.

the BM has more tone control in my opinion and that matters at lower gains as you get crunchier the BD can do more "fun" distortion levels and still sounds great.

it depends on what you want to do gain and tone wise. For those prices GET THEM BOTH!! the BD is like $80 new and the BM is like $50

Archived