Why doesn't vol pedal effect tone when vol knob does?

• Members

I'm about to go get a volume pedal (prob an Ernie Ball passive junior). Dozens of reviews characterize good passive volume pedals as being completely transparent with regards to tone. But the volume knob on a stock Stratocaster is almost unusable because it filters high end tone so much, anything below full on quickly sounds muffled. I added the recommended capacitor bleed mod to that knob and find its performance is much improved, but still...

Why wouldn't a passive volume pedal (usually placed at the top of the chain first thing after the guitar) have a similar high end filtering effect that mungs up my beautiful tube amp, spendy pickup tone? Does it? I thought it was just a big potentiometer on a string, just like the one in my guitar (except for the string).

I'm mystified.

• Members

I'm about to go get a volume pedal (prob an Ernie Ball passive junior). Dozens of reviews characterize good passive volume pedals as being completely transparent with regards to tone. But the volume knob on a stock Stratocaster is almost unusable because it filters high end tone so much, anything below full on quickly sounds muffled. I added the recommended capacitor bleed mod to that knob and find its performance is much improved, but still...

Why wouldn't a passive volume pedal (usually placed at the top of the chain first thing after the guitar) have a similar high end filtering effect that mungs up my beautiful tube amp, spendy pickup tone? Does it? I thought it was just a big potentiometer on a string, just like the one in my guitar (except for the string).

I'm mystified.

Add a treble bleed cap to your volume controls on the guitar. This will retain clarity as you roll your volume back. This page has a decent explanation. http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm

• Members

For the Ernie Balls, if you have a cable plugged into the tuner out jack, it will suck some of your tone.. I guess its because the signal goes through the tuner circuitry or something like that?

Its not that the signal is going through the tuner circuit, but that the guitar signal is being loaded by two branches. Think of taking a garden hose and splitting it into two other hoses. Now take one of the two hoses and run it straight into the storm drain (tuner out of volume pedal). Think of the water as your guitar signal. Depends on the rig though. Sometimes the difference is pretty small, sometimes pretty drastic. You would have to try the tuner in parallel and series to see what you prefer.

• Members

When you use a volume pedal, is your guitar's volume still full on?

There's your answer, the guitar's volume is attenuating the pickups voltage output. If the volume is full up, your getting full signal. The volume pedal is attenuating the full signal.

• Members

There's your answer, the guitar's volume is attenuating the pickups voltage output. If the volume is full up, your getting full signal. The volume pedal is attenuating the full signal.

Pardon? A volume knob also attenuates the full signal of the pickups.

• Members

Pardon? A volume knob also attenuates the full signal of the pickups.

Which is what I said.

The GUITARS volume knob, affects the PICKUP.

The PEDAL, affects the overall volume level.

Got it?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

that makes sense. :thu:

Archived