Penny Pedals Fingerprint - anyone here have one?

• Members

I need a distortion pedal for shoegaze stuff. I need something with lots of gain, but something that will also sound great with complex chord voicings. The description of the Fingerprint sounds like what I want, but the sound clips haven't convinced me. Does anyone here use this pedal? If so, does it live up to the description of offering MBV-style tones? Does it do any weird intermodulation with chords or does it still sound musical with suspended fourths and open chords and the like? Also, does it seem to have plenty of gain? Any feedback I can get would be really appreciated.

• Members

I just got one so I'm a little hesitant to comment on it yet. I need to really familiarize myself with it more before trying to give my opinion, but the interaction between the gain and texture knobs is very cool. "Texture" is the perfect name for that knob, because that's exactly what it controls. You can get some very sputtery, almost static sounding fuzz out of this pedal.

• Members

You can get some very sputtery, almost static sounding fuzz out of this pedal.

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. I've got a load of fuzz pedals for the glitchy stuff, and even for the non-glitchy stuff. But what I'm looking for is more of a distortion than a fuzz, something that gets me into a really high gain area, but is smooth enough that big chords ring out clearly. The description of the pedal with the texture knob turned down sounds like what I want, but I can't tell for sure from listening to the soundclips, since they aren't playing a "shoegaze" style. I was hoping that maybe TweedBassman could tell me more about, but really, I'd like to hear from people who have it and use it.

• Members

Marshall Shredmaster is a big brooding beast.

Yeah, so is my Rat, but it's not the sound I'm after. Anyway, I'm supposed to be on a tourbox to try one of those out. That could be a solution, but I'd like to buy something else to try in the meantime.

• Members

:wave:

I need something with lots of gain, but something that will also sound great with complex chord voicings.

besides the glitchy octave stuff, that's what i was going for with this pedal; fuzzy higher gain, but still clear on open or unusual chords. the more extreme stuff is really more of a bonus when the gain and texture knobs are near the max.

i'm probably going to change up some of the description of the pedal a little; it's a great sounding fuzz IMO, but merely a 'brick' in the wall of sound that a lot of shoegaze bands go for. reverb, amps, guitars, chord voicings, playing style, etc etc... there's a lot that goes into it. even if you were to put classic shoegaze sounds like reverb, tremolo, fuzz and other pitch devices into one pedal (see: EHX holy stain) it still doesn't quite get there.

as for the clips, i'm totally open to suggestions on improving them. i like some of the crazier clips but the ones that show the more subtle in-between tones could use some updating. any recommendations for amps, chords, or even songs to try?

• Members

as for the clips, i'm totally open to suggestions on improving them. i like some of the crazier clips but the ones that show the more subtle in-between tones could use some updating. any recommendations for amps, chords, or even songs to try?

Yeah, I agree the crazy stuff is well represented. I would just like to hear more of the high-gain non-crazy stuff. It would be awesome to hear something with lots ringing chords, maybe in an open tuning. Something like the verse part of MBV's Only Shallow, or any part of Loomer. Though it's not shoegaze, something like the verse riff in radiohead's Planet Telex would be cool to hear, to hear how moving single notes ring out against thick chords at a high gan setting.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion, and I'll probably make up my mind well before you get around to posting more clips, but I thought I'd give you some input anyway.

Thanks a lot for getting back to me, it's really awesome to be able to get input from an effect's designer. One last question, if I may, how does this stack up, in terms of the amount of gain available, before all of the crazy texture stuff kicks in, compared to something like an OCD?

• Members

Thanks a lot for getting back to me, it's really awesome to be able to get input from an effect's designer. One last question, if I may, how does this stack up, in terms of the amount of gain available, before all of the crazy texture stuff kicks in, compared to something like an OCD?

no problem man. i know a few folks who have the fingerprint and an OCD, i'll ask them and post the responses. :thu:

• Members

this week Xan! it's funny, i finally caught up to the end of the list and things were slow, and now it's crazy again. but everything should be done in a few days.

as for the OCD comparison, here's some good feedback from a few guys:

it's a totally different animal, the fingerprint is a way fuzzier distortion than the ocd. and the fact that the ocd has a tone control gives it the ability to sound "thicker". and i've found the fingerprint is very guitar dependant, in terms of how it works in conjunction with the natural tone of a guitar. but i'd say in general the ocd probably has more smooth "gain" in it. it's tough to say, b/c if you're not messing with the texture knob, you're not using the fingerprint right.

i'd say the fingerprint has a much more woolly fuzz sound going on. its a bit more unpredictable and will probably make things louder than the ocd (although thats probably not what is meant by gain in this context). As far as breakup the OCD reacts more like a vintage tube amp, and the fingerprint reacts alot more to both guitar, pick technique and amp. Both are really usable, but very different.

• Members

:wave:

besides the glitchy octave stuff, that's what i was going for with this pedal; fuzzy higher gain, but still clear on open or unusual chords. the more extreme stuff is really more of a bonus when the gain and texture knobs are near the max.

i'm probably going to change up some of the description of the pedal a little; it's a great sounding fuzz IMO, but merely a 'brick' in the wall of sound that a lot of shoegaze bands go for. reverb, amps, guitars, chord voicings, playing style, etc etc... there's a lot that goes into it. even if you were to put classic shoegaze sounds like reverb, tremolo, fuzz and other pitch devices into one pedal (see: EHX holy stain) it still doesn't quite get there.

Hey Matt, remember the clip I sent you a few months back? That might give it a different spin. You're welcome to use it if you think it's any good. Cheers, BK.

• Members

great idea brett! here's a demo by someone who can actually play guitar well:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6579717

at about :30 in, the texture is half up, gain full up. it's fuzzy but kind of 'squishy' sounding. around 1:00 the texture is almost full up, and you can really hear it getting very saturated and gated sounding. then, at 1:20, the texture knob is turned almost off, completely opening up the sound, letting harmonics and note clarity through. really great demo, thanks brett!

• Members

great idea brett! here's a demo by someone who can actually play guitar well:

at about :30 in, the texture is half up, gain full up. it's fuzzy but kind of 'squishy' sounding. around 1:00 the texture is almost full up, and you can really hear it getting very saturated and gated sounding. then, at 1:20, the texture knob is turned almost off, completely opening up the sound, letting harmonics and note clarity through. really great demo, thanks brett!

No problemo. Actually, listening to that one in retrospect, there may be a little to much raw 'string' noise there - I used a Microtrack to record it. I'll do another one and get it to you soon.

• Members

I've had one for a while and it does the SP/Hum wall of sound very well. I can get some great shoegaze sounds with a ton of reverb & some chorus/flange. Much better for gaze than my mayo or fuzz factory. I had a Fulltone Soulbender which could get into similar territory, but it was never as full sounding. I've been dying to get a RRR for this purpose, but i haven't gotten one yet.

• Members

Hey buddy, its Xan here, I got onto the Fingerprint list a couple a' weeks back. Was just wondering how its going? I'm really dying to try this pedal now! Any estimate on when it'll be ready?

Cheers,

Xan (UK)

Thats excellent, thanks very much. :rawk:

Archived