Help me choose my dirt pedals...plz

• Members

Hey guys. I'm having a hard time decided what dirt pedal I want to complete my set up (for distortion and whatnot). So far I have a Big Muff Pi and DS1 (which I would sell to help get another pedal), and will be getting an MXR Blue Box on Wednesday.

So right now I will have enough fuzz but here are some of the pedals I've been looking at and deciding to get...

Boss OD-3

Digitech Bad Monkey possibly with EHX LPB-1 to boost for more crunch

EHX Nano Metal Muff

They all seem to have pretty good reviews so, I guess I want your guys' opinion. Oh and here is kind of a small list of my influences, if that helps: The Mars Volta, RATM, Muse, Radiohead.

• Members

Some people say that you just need one of those old rats because of the chip, but I have a stock Rat II and it sounds great. Even compared to the old ones...

They're tough as hell too. :thu:

• Members

I know, I'm semi-fluent in french. But adding an -"eaux" pluralizes it.

I started talking french in one thread, and people stated it was impolite to talk in a language that most people here don't understand...

I think it's a nice language though...

• Members

Doesn't Greenwood use a Shredmaster?

My favorite solid state distortion pedal right now is the Danelectro Fab-Tone. You have to have an EQ after it to calm it down a bit, but if you abuse it right you can get some amazingly textured distortions from it. It starts at a pretty damn high gain and goes all the way to the moon, though, so it may be more than you're after.

Well, that's not entirely true. It's my favorite to get new sounds out of. My real favorite is the Zoom Tri-Metal, but it's more than nearly anybody needs.

• Members

I started talking french in one thread, and people stated it was impolite to talk in a language that most people here don't understand...

I think it's a nice language though...

It is a nice language. Romantic. Lots of gutteral sounds though, that's kinda what gets me.

• Members

Yeah, Greenwood uses that...Marshall pedal right? I've been kinda looking for a crunchy-overdriven tone. Somewhat similar to what Omar Rodriguez Lopez has, but I think he might use the overdrive from his Orange Tube amps...

But the reason I have the Metal Muff up there is because I heard it could get some overdriven sounds, and I kinda like the metal sound.

• Members

:confused:

That was a lot of zoom for one post. I'm not into their pedals nor any pedal that states it's super heavy or metal...

Not entirely superficial though. I have played on some zoom pedals, and I didn't like them. :(

• Members

It is a nice language. Romantic. Lots of gutteral sounds though, that's kinda what gets me.

Because Belgium has two languages (actually four, but that's a bit complicated), we had to learn french at a pretty young age.

To get that 'rrrrrrolling' R, we had to practice it with water in our mouth and we had this stupid rule: whenever you went to the toilet, you had to practice that R until you went off...

I got pretty tired of it, but my R does sound very french.

• Members

Hey guys. I'm having a hard time decided what dirt pedal I want to complete my set up (for distortion and whatnot). So far I have a Big Muff Pi and DS1 (which I would sell to help get another pedal), and will be getting an MXR Blue Box on Wednesday.

So right now I will have enough fuzz but here are some of the pedals I've been looking at and deciding to get...

Boss OD-3

Digitech Bad Monkey possibly with EHX LPB-1 to boost for more crunch

EHX Nano Metal Muff

They all seem to have pretty good reviews so, I guess I want your guys' opinion. Oh and here is kind of a small list of my influences, if that helps: The Mars Volta, RATM, Muse, Radiohead.

The OD-3 is pretty good. Even better used. The Bad Monkey is similar, and a very good pedal for the money. Although I've used mine more as a slightly dirty boost.

What's your budget? I bought a used Emma Reezafratzitz, and while it's expensive, damn it's good. It's better than most dirt pedals because a) it's versatile - it will give you great dirty blues tones, to heavier ac/dc crunch, to much heavier beyond that. b) roll down your guitar's volume, and play more mellow stuff, crank you volume on the guitar, and watch out. c) responds very well to your picking dynamics.

You can buy decent, cheaper dirt pedals for sure, and I have, but stepping up to the Reeza gives you some very amp like tones most pedals won't give you. Only drawback, is that it doesn't work great with your amps dirty channel, it prefers a cleaner channel to work with.

I have a Skreddy Screwdriver, another very good (but not cheap) dirt pedal that is a hybrid overdrive/fuzz pedal. Loves to play with other pedals and your amps distortion. Very versatile pedal. With these two pedals, I can cover a lot of sonic territory. I have no gas to replace them either, something I haven't experienced in a while.

• Members

Yeah, Greenwood uses that...Marshall pedal right? I've been kinda looking for a crunchy-overdriven tone. Somewhat similar to what Omar Rodriguez Lopez has, but I think he might use the overdrive from his Orange Tube amps...

But the reason I have the Metal Muff up there is because I heard it could get some overdriven sounds, and I kinda like the metal sound.

I like the Metal Muff, but I don't think it has much of a low-gain sound to it. You roll the gain all the way back, it'll thin out, but the tone isn't great. Now, it does have a good overdriven sound if what you mean is you can put an overdrive in front of it and roll its on-board gain to about noon or earlier. Sounds awesome :)

I only have one clip, and I've posted it every time someone asks about the metal muff, so why not again? :lol:

vavn

Archived