Pedal Power 2+ Theoretics

• Members

Hello all, I want a simple setup for all my pedals, and before I purchase a Pedal Power 2 I would like to double check my configuration with you all before I do so.

For the PP2+ I am going to apply:

1. EHX PolyChorus

2. Line6 DL4

3. EHX Holy Grail Reverb

4. Boss EQ Sniper-Mod

Ok, so I am going to buy a 18v/24v 5.5mm x 2.5mm - Reverse Polarity cable for the PolyChorus, switch the PP2 to 12V on inputs 1 and 2 and plug it in. I will then plug the Sniper EQ into input 3. I will then switch to unregulated power and plug in the DL4 on input 5. The Holy Grail I believe draws somewhere around 235mA of current, so I believe I would need to plug this into input 6 as opposed to 4 correct? Would it work on 4?

3 questions:

1. Will I need to use regulated or unregulated for the Holy Grail Reverb and the Line 6 DL4?

2. The Line 6 DL4 uses, from what I've observed, AC power... yet the DC PP2+ says it can successfully run it if I flip a switch. Is this fact? How does this work?

3. The courtesy AC slot on the back... can this be used to power any pedal I choose, AC or DC, regardless of voltage? And will the wall wart have the potential to create hum from this?

Thank you all for being patient with me. :)

• Members

3 questions:

1. Will I need to use regulated or unregulated for the Holy Grail Reverb and the Line 6 DL4?

For the DL-4, use output 5 or 6 with the switch set to "on/up" (unregulated). You'll need to use the special cable with the red plug for the Line 6.

The Holy Grail will most likely want to see a regulated voltage, but it does need more than the 100mA the regular outputs can provide. On the PP2+, outputs 5 and 6 in normal mode provide a little over 200mA, which may be enough for the Holy Grail.

2. The Line 6 DL4 uses, from what I've observed, AC power... yet the DC PP2+ says it can successfully run it if I flip a switch. Is this fact? How does this work?

The DL-4 can be powered from either 9 volts AC (POD adapter) or 9-12 volts DC. Inside, it has a rectifier bridge (to turn the AC voltage into DC) and regulators (to provide the right DC voltage for the circuit), which is why it will work either way.

3. The courtesy AC slot on the back... can this be used to power any pedal I choose, AC or DC, regardless of voltage? And will the wall wart have the potential to create hum from this?

The AC outlet is good for up to 200 watts, so it shold be fine to use for a separate adapter. Don't plug your amp in there, but pedal adapters are fine. Keep in mind that you can also use a regular outlet strip to power the PP2+ and extra adapters from - the AC outlet on the PP2+ isn't filtered or isolated in any way, so which way you go will be down to what's the most convenient solution for you.

/Andreas

• Members

For the DL-4, use output 5 or 6 with the switch set to "on/up" (unregulated). You'll need to use the special cable with the red plug for the Line 6.

The Holy Grail will most likely want to see a regulated voltage, but it does need more than the 100mA the regular outputs can provide. On the PP2+, outputs 5 and 6 in normal mode provide a little over 200mA, which may be enough for the Holy Grail.

The DL-4 can be powered from either 9 volts AC (POD adapter) or 9-12 volts DC. Inside, it has a rectifier bridge (to turn the AC voltage into DC) and regulators (to provide the right DC voltage for the circuit), which is why it will work either way.

The AC outlet is good for up to 200 watts, so it shold be fine to use for a separate adapter. Don't plug your amp in there, but pedal adapters are fine. Keep in mind that you can also use a regular outlet strip to power the PP2+ and extra adapters from - the AC outlet on the PP2+ isn't filtered or isolated in any way, so which way you go will be down to what's the most convenient solution for you.

/Andreas

Thank you very much. Are you sure it is only 200mA on 5-6? I have heard others say 200, yet on the website it states in the specs that it uses:

Six 9VDC 100mA regulated

Two 9VDC 250mA regulated

It also says "9V (x2)

• Members

from my understanding outputs 5 and 6 can give either 200mA in normal mode, or >200mA (and sufficient for the dl-4 or boss twin pedal) of unregulated current. because it's unregulated, it might not be the best for the holy grail. i might be wrong though.

however, www.stompin-ground.com claims that the holy grail works fine with the pp2+. have you tried ringing them voodoo lab?

• Members

where does one get this cable? Also, is this the same cable for the DMM and deluxe mistress?

http://www.voodoolab.com/cables.htm

Right here. 18v/24v 5.5mm x 2.5mm - Reverse Polarity (straight)

Combines two Pedal Power outputs (both in 12V mode) to create 24V. Used to power various Electro-Harmonix effects like the Deluxe Memory Man, Stereo Memory Man, Deluxe Electric Mistress, Micro Synthesizer, Bass Micro Synthesizer, Q-tron, Q-tron +, Stereo Polychorus, and Worm pedals.

• Members

As far as the Holy Grail goes, I tried using the PP2+ supplied 1/8 tip cable but got loud noise when engaged. I bought a ISpot Boss to 1/8 extender that fixed that.

This was when I was using my friends HG, I gave it back to him.

• Members

Thank you very much. Are you sure it is only 200mA on 5-6? I have heard others say 200, yet on the website it states in the specs that it uses:

Six 9VDC 100mA regulated

Two 9VDC 250mA regulated

It also says "9V (x2)

Archived