Do the pedals of an RC-2+FS-5U function exactly like RC-20?

peckhart

• Members

I am trying to decide on an Akai Headrush or an RC-2+FS-5U to use strictly as a live looper. I do not need to pre-record or save phrases, which makes the simplicity of the Headrush attractive, but the size, cost and better reviews of no noise with the RC-2 have me considering that as well.

My main concern on the RC-2 at this point is the stomping process required to do what I want.

On the RC-20 (which I have on a borrowed basis at the moment), I set it to Auto Start....then hit the left pedal to begin recording, left again to stop recording and begin looping of phrase. Then I hit the right pedal to stop the looped phrase and hold it to clear it.

Perfect! That works for my needs, but can someone tell me if the RC-2 + a FS-5U will work the same way? The RC-2 alone I know requires double stomp to stop the looped phrase...not sure how you clear the phrase to capture another.

• Members

You have to hold the pedal down for 2 seconds while it's stopped to erase the loop. Trouble is it plays for half a second before erasing, which is annoying. Not sure if the optional footswitch erases without playing, it probably does.

• Members

Well I did just find my answer in the RC-2 manual and it looks like having the FS-5U attached makes the pedals function the same way. The right pedal (FS-5U in this case) would stop the loop and holding it will clear it.

It does not state whether or not you would hear it for a second like you state...I did notice that with the RC-2 alone on a Youtube demo vid. On the RC-20 you do not hear it when you hold the right pedal to clear.

That would be a show stopper for me cuz it would make real-time live use impossible.

• Members

You have to hold the pedal down for 2 seconds while it's stopped to erase the loop. Trouble is it plays for half a second before erasing, which is annoying. Not sure if the optional footswitch erases without playing, it probably does.

Mine doesn't do that... if it's playing, you tap and then hold to stop and erase, if its not playing, you hold and it erases without starting and stopping...

• Members

Well I did just find my answer in the RC-2 manual and it looks like having the FS-5U attached makes the pedals function the same way. The right pedal (FS-5U in this case) would stop the loop and holding it will clear it.

It does not state whether or not you would hear it for a second like you state...I did notice that with the RC-2 alone on a Youtube demo vid. On the RC-20 you do not hear it when you hold the right pedal to clear.

That would be a show stopper for me cuz it would make real-time live use impossible.

If you have a 2-button switch (FS-6 or a custom one) you can also use the other button to advance the patch, which could be a workaround.

• Members

if you only loop 20 sec of less and want nothing else then get the headrush. If you need more time, then get a rc-2. If you need the fs-5u, then don't get the rc-2... get the rc-20xl. Getting the fs-5u means you are adding a lot of space and believe me the fs-5u is not small. Even with a fs-5u, this does not offer all the available features at your feet. To get all, you need a fs-6, which is even bigger. So get a rc-20xl and just live with its size.

If you are crazy, do what i did....

http://supervelcroboy.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/easyy-extra-function-mods-for-the-boss-rc-2-looper/

Archived