Marhsall Echohead?

Mrrikki

• Members

Anyone have this pedal? Anyone used to have this pedal?

I am looking for a cheap delay that its versatile, low costing and also good with metal / rock music. I have been recommended this by my local shop. Just wondering what you guys in the effects forum think about this pedal?

Thanks for any help in advance!

• Members

its a good pedal, versatile. great value for money, not as crystal clear as the boss dd series, but that has its own charm.

actually, when i compared a DD(5) and the echohead head to head, the Boss sounded weak, tinny and not a true representation of the sound going in.

the echohead's digital mode actually seems to repeat the full bandwidth that you put into the pedal. the DD just cut out loads of bass and mids in comparison. i remember this being the case with the DD-3, and the same with the RV-3 and RV-2 delay modes. just saying.. plus the analog and tape and reverse modes would knock the hell out of the limited functions on the DD's.

for

• Members

Another advantage with the Echohead over the DD5 is that it doesn't digitize your dry signal which I think it one of the most important features. If it sounds good and the dry tone is real then it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

• Members
actually, when i compared a DD(5) and the echohead head to head, the Boss sounded weak, tinny and not a true representation of the sound going in.

the echohead's digital mode actually seems to repeat the full bandwidth that you put into the pedal. the DD just cut out loads of bass and mids in comparison. i remember this being the case with the DD-3, and the same with the RV-3 and RV-2 delay modes. just saying.. plus the analog and tape and reverse modes would knock the hell out of the limited functions on the DD's.

for

• Members

Dam nice clip what settings did you have on for that sound?

Also do you ever play something like a metal muff before it for heavy sounds and how does it sound if you do and again what settings would you use? Sorry for all the questions!

that was tape mode, almost always with the repeats at full, effect level at max and delay time about noon (most of the delay times i use are around there).

it doesn't get oscillatey and get carried away in tape mode because the repeats dimish in sound quality in such a way that you'll never get that really loud build up. it would be cool, but not really necessary. the digital and analog modes go on forever with the repeats at full.

when i play heavy (little big muff, post rock wall of sound stuff) before the tape mode it sounds great. even with the repeats still at maximum the diminishing sound of each repeat means your overall sound doesn't get swamped and sound cluttered/incoherent/bassy as it would with lots of repeats in digital or analog mode. i'll see if i can upload a sample from a rehearsal jam for you.. edit.. actually, there a dick singing all over it and the quality is a bit lame. my myspace has the analog mode with tons of repeats clean and with line-in zoom ultra fuzz towards the end.. not great but might give you an idea. much more incoherent than the tape mode at the end.. there's 6 guitars all jamming at once though! (the big wash of sound underneath the guitars is a yamaha UD-stomp det to silly amounts of repeats and 8 different delays with different times)

also, that point about the unaffected sound staying analog is a massively important thing aswell.

• Members

for

• Members

that was tape mode, almost always with the repeats at full, effect level at max and delay time about noon (most of the delay times i use are around there).

it doesn't get oscillatey and get carried away in tape mode because the repeats dimish in sound quality in such a way that you'll never get that really loud build up. it would be cool, but not really necessary. the digital and analog modes go on forever with the repeats at full.

when i play heavy (little big muff, post rock wall of sound stuff) before the tape mode it sounds great. even with the repeats still at maximum the diminishing sound of each repeat means your overall sound doesn't get swamped and sound cluttered/incoherent/bassy as it would with lots of repeats in digital or analog mode. i'll see if i can upload a sample from a rehearsal jam for you..

also, that point about the unaffected sound staying analog is a massively important thing aswell.

Id very much appreciate that thanks alot!

• Members
i edited my post.. unfortunatley the recording sounds lame. i only have one myspace idea clip with the analog mode if thats any help
:idk:

Really useful thanks, think I am leaning towards the Echohead over the DD3 now especially with the price difference I don't see what extra I'm getting for the money with the DDs that the Echohead can't do?

Archived