Is the ACXX tremolo supposed to sound like a helicopter, on its own?

• Members

I've gotten the tremolo to work by putting a patch cable in the footswitch jack half-way in so now I can finally enjoy tremolo.

With the depth knob past 50%, the amp starts sounding like a helicopter. Louder and louder if the speed is slower. This is not just noise from the guitar, it's way louder than that.

Not a huge problem really. Just wondering if this is normal or if I should get it looked at while the amp is still under warranty. Is it?

• Members

Do you mean this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vox-A-C-15-Top-Boost-valve-amp-in-excellent-condition_W0QQitemZ290234291796QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd hit that one. Good points:

-Metal switches and not the plastic rocker switches.

-Loaded with NOS Phillips valves. Potential for flogging these for decent money and then getting the valves you want.

-You get the original Vox Bulldog speaker and the Celestion Vintage 30. Definite resale value there for the pair of them if you want to get a Celestion Blue (and who in the right mind wouldn't?)

-Proper rectifier. Can always go for a Weber Copper Cap if you want somethign that's a bit longer-lasting.

• Members

I've gotten the tremolo to work by putting a patch cable in the footswitch jack half-way in so now I can finally enjoy tremolo.

With the depth knob past 50%, the amp starts sounding like a helicopter. Louder and louder if the speed is slower. This is not just noise from the guitar, it's way louder than that.

Not a huge problem really. Just wondering if this is normal or if I should get it looked at while the amp is still under warranty. Is it?

Backtrack a bit here. If you don't have the patch cable in the footswitch jack, do you get no tremolo whatsoever, even with the trem knobs set to Max?

Someting doesn't seem right. I rarely used the trem on my AC15TBX and so didn't bother using the footswitch, just set the Trem controls to 0. However, turning the knobs up would bring the Trem into play, irrespective of anything being in the footswitch jack.

• Members

Backtrack a bit here. If you don't have the patch cable in the footswitch jack, do you get no tremolo whatsoever, even with the trem knobs set to Max?

Someting doesn't seem right. I rarely used the trem on my AC15TBX and so didn't bother using the footswitch, just set the Trem controls to 0. However, turning the knobs up would bring the Trem into play, irrespective of anything being in the footswitch jack.

Actually, you're right. The guy I got the amp from told me I needed the footswitch to activate it but it turns out I didn't. With no cable in the footswitch jack, the tremolo still works.

So now the only mystery left is if it's supposed to make loud helicopter noises with the tremolo activated or not. No tremolos I've used in the past have, but they've all been digital so I wouldn't know.

• Members

Actually, you're right. The guy I got the amp from told me I needed the footswitch to activate it but it turns out I didn't. With no cable in the footswitch jack, the tremolo still works.

So now the only mystery left is if it's supposed to make loud helicopter noises with the tremolo activated or not. No tremolos I've used in the past have, but they've all been digital so I wouldn't know.

I'm pretty sure it shouldn't make loud helicopter noises with the tremolo off...maybe it's stuck on...maybe something messed up when you had the jack half stuck in?

• Members

i mgiht have misunderstood, but maybe you're running with high gain and low master volume and it's the noise from that that's getting chopped up? (disclaimer: i don't actually know anything about it).

Nope, low channel volume and 50% master volume. Also, it's way louder than any noise.

• Members

The noise isn't there when the tremolo is off but it's there when the tremolo is on while I'm not playing. It's way louder than the amplifier noise so it's not that.

mmm...is the tremolo valve driven?

• Members

Nope. The CC series doesn't get those fancy things.

mmm....I wonder where all the CC users are?

I don't know mate, I wish I could help, but I'd just be throwing random guesses at you....but it sounds like something is generating noise that shouldn't be there.

• Members

OK, so if the trem works with no patch cable in the footswitch jack, can I ask why you put that patch cable in there?

I have a feeling you may need a repair for this. One of the complaints I had about the AC15CC was that the reverb was crappy and had very little 'give' in its settings. It wasn't a smooth gradual increase in reverb as you turned the knob to me, it was either OFF, or ON in varying degrees of awfulness. The trem is IC generated according to a post I read on the Fender forum.

• Members

it may just be your background white noise fluxxing. Mine buggs the {censored} out of me when im not playing and accidently turn on the trem but its not audioable when im playing.

But i dont use trem much so. Ill check to see if mine does it tonight....other then that have not a clue.

• Members

it may just be your background white noise fluxxing. Mine buggs the shit out of me when im not playing and accidently turn on the trem but its not audioable when im playing.

But i dont use trem much so. Ill check to see if mine does it tonight....other then that have not a clue.

Check to see if your AC15 does it. If it does, I guess it's not a bug but rather a feature :idea:

• Members

mmm....I wonder where all the CC users are?

:wave:

following the clarifications after my last post, and though my guesses are still no less random than melx's, i'd also say that it's something wrong with your amp in particular and not something wrong with all CCs. mine sounds fine.

Archived