OT: Calling anyone with Fender Jaguar pickup expertise...

• Members

I've had this mij jag sitting around being neglected for years...finally been motivated to get it running to be a contender for gigging and {censored}...

goes without saying the stock pickups are horrible...so much microphonic feedback with gain.

i just put in some Seymour Duncan vintage SJAG-1 pickups and was pretty dismayed to hear that they also emit some pretty horrible feedback when i have my rat copy at about mid gain and regular volume on my amp.

i'm about to rip 'em out and throw in the stock ones and ignore the jag again...

unless...

can anyone tell me if the other SD Jag pickups are really easy to get squealy feedback from or more resistant? how are the Hot and Quarter Pounders?

• Members

My MIJ Jag has its stock pickups, but I can't say that I'm experiencing any problems with them. They're not that great, but mine are definitely usable. That being said, I'm gonna replace them with a set of Duncan Antiquities. I just can't decide whether I wanna go with the Antiquity 1 or the Antiquity 2, or maybe one of each.

• Members

i guess i'm spoiled with all my other guitars that don't have squealy feedback...

i am curious if anyone has used any other replacement jag pickups and had no problems with microphonic squealing at medium to high gain...

• Members

ive tried just about every jag pup- there is man and this is what i got to say about em:

sjag 2 (hot) are by far the best sounding SD pups for a jaguar.they are around 8.5k,hot enough for rock.

sjag 3 (QP) are dead and dull sounding,they are a real disapointment.around 12k

antiquity they sound exactly like a vintage jag pup are are real nice although they arent very high output at around 6.4k.

AV fender are nice pups to,similar to SD sjag1's.

in my jaguar i use an AV fender neck pup and an SD antiquity bridge pup. i play experimental rock(with fuzz) and its all good.

i used to have the hot in the bridge but i broke it so i will be replacing it eventually with another one.its such a good pup man,best ive ever heard.

my advice is get the hot for the bridge and leave the sjag 1 in the neck.

also buy some copper tape and shield all routes in the jag,it improves the quietness a huge amount.

• Members

yea i was surprised too,glad i only bought the bridge QP and not both.lol

have you seen this site?

hell yeah, i've referred people to the interactive jaguar many times...

haha i remember when i first started messing with the jag, i had NO idea what any of the switches did, i just could tell they sounded different...

• Members

I went from stock mij to the SD SJAG1's to Curt Novak jag pickups. The Novaks are just right.

I thought the duncans were better than the stock at low volumes. Clearer sounding and all that, but they could also sound too forward and sterile. Not enough "fender" going on.

The Curt Novaks are pretty much perfect and sound like what I think a jag should sound like. They're pricey though ($80 per?)

• Members

i have a mustang bridge on my 65 jm...i've had it set up only once in 6 years...love it.

just got the mustang bridge on the jag...anyone recommend a buzzstop? i've been tempted to get one for this jag.

buzzstops suck and totaly ruin the aesthetics of these guitars.

Archived