Tube Screamer Alternatives

• Members

I'm looking for a lead boost. I'm currently using a TS-9, but it's a little too mid-heavy for what I'm looking for. I want something fairly transparent that's not going to totally color my amp. I also want the usual lead guitar stuff - more saturation, sustain, and cut.

What are some good low-mid gain pedals with plenty of headroom? My budget is $120ish.

I've thought about doing the Analogman Silver mod - is that worth doing?

• Members

Rocktron Austin Gold. Though it is more of a low gain pedal, it was the only one that didn't cut bass and make me fade out of the mix. I have some other's that I haven't got to try in a band setting, but that is the one I know of.

• Members

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 is a very versatile OD. I was actually considering getting an Analogman Silver mod TS-9 off ebay, but I read some reviews and apparently its a really unique, love it or hate it type sound and since I couldn't try it I left it. I love my fulldrive though, does everything you're asking, not sure if its in your budget though, its costs

• Members

Is the OD-3 anything like the SD-1? I tried the SD-1 and it's way too noisy/hissy.

I used to have the FD2 mosfet and it just didn't really do much for me. I didn't like how the boost worked at all. Maybe I should think about giving it another try, but I don't know...

• Members

What are you trying to do? Boost the signal going into an already distorting amp? Do you need more distortion or more overall volume? Or a little of both (which can be really hard to do, depending on the amount of preamp distortion already there)?

Assuming you have an already distorting amp, but with a little more room left (increasing the input gain still makes the amp a little bit louder, so it isn't fully saturated), I'd try an EQ pedal - that way, you'll be able to control both the amount of extra gain as well as the tone. You can add a little midrange and reduce the bass slightly (to help the guitar cut through a little better), and boost the signal level, but at your own discretion. You're not stuck with a midrange hump that is in the wrong range for you, or too little/too much.

A Boss Blues Driver with the gain set low (around 9 o'clock) may also add a little extra "cut" along with a boost in level, but treat the tone control carefully - it can get very bright very fast :D

/Andreas

• Members

Have you thought of doing any mods to the ts9? I moded mine and it works wonders on the pedal. The link below sells chip sets for all kinds of pedals. If your interested ill mod for it like 20 bucks or even for nothing if you buy the kit and pay for shiping. I have the tri gain mod on mine. Its really great.

Www.monteallums.com

• Members

Yeah, I'm running my amp with some natural breakup, but it still cleans up with a light touch and/or lower output pickups. My amp is a Stulce SA-10 - a dual EL84 amp, based loosely on the Matchless Spitfire.

I've thought about the Liquid Sunshine - that's a definite contender.

I'm on the list for a Timmy - it's supposed to be ready by mid-June or July. I should probably hold out for it, but I'm getting antsy and I want something soon.

• Members

REALLY EXPENSIVE BOUTIQUE THING THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF, AND I'M NOT SAYING ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NAME OF IT.

or

Digitech Bad Monkey. Goes from clean loud boost to mild od, with active bass and treble controls.

• Members

I use a BBE Boosta Grande for a lot of stuff, more and more lately, and really like what it does to my amp's natural distortion, as well as boosting into other pedals - it doesn't add grit, almost, but more of a thickness thing. I just added a used OD-3 last night, and that also sounds good into my amps distortion. But I also liked the Bad Monkey for this, and you didn't like that so...I would try a clean boost. The Boost N Buff as mentioned, or the Boosta Grande, something in that vein. Together, my OD-3 and Boosta Grande cost me $100. Money well spent.

• Members

I have a good clean boost, but I use it for crunchier rhythm stuff. I'll probably hold out for the Timmy and use it for dirty rhythm and use the boost for leads. I don't know, I just feel like something's missing...

FYI, here's the boost that I use:

2078361045_403960c054.jpg

It's pretty much the AMZ boost that everyone uses (like the Catalinbread SCP, MI Audio B&B, etc). It's made by my friend Maury at RAILhead Effects.

• Members

I'll give my pitch for the Liquid Sunshine since Lanefair didn't think simply stating the name was appropriate.

It works with every guitar, every amp, and every other pedal. It adds gain and not just volume, and you can boost the highs instead of the mids, so you can have louder highs, or more satured highs, which sound smoother.

I've used it before and after other overdrive pedals, and it was my direct replacement for my TS-9, which I got rid of because I didn't like the compression.

• Members

I'll give my pitch for the Liquid Sunshine since Lanefair didn't think simply stating the name was appropriate.

It works with every guitar, every amp, and every other pedal. It adds gain and not just volume, and you can boost the highs instead of the mids, so you can have louder highs, or more satured highs, which sound smoother.

I've used it before and after other overdrive pedals, and it was my direct replacement for my TS-9, which I got rid of because I didn't like the compression.

Hehe, nothing personal, it was starting to look like one of those threads.

• Members

The Xotic BB Preamp is the best I've used, way better than the TS. Highly recommended.

How clean does the BB get? I know it has a lot of gain on tap, but I don't need that much. Maybe the AC Booster would be a better fit.

Archived