buffers and volume pedal (tone suckage)

joelbah

• Members

I have a EB volume pedal at the front of my chain, and I have recently begun to notice that it might be the cause of some tone suckage, especially high frequencies.

someone told me that if I moved it behind something else in my chain, something with a good buffer, it might reduce or eliminate this problem. I sort of understand the concept of a buffer, but not fully.

Here is what my chain looks like now:

SG>EB volume pedal>vox wah>guyatone st-2 compressor>TS-9>GE-7>MM-4>DL-4>Dr. Z Carmen Ghia or Orange Rocker 30

Is there one of these pedals that I could put in front of my volume pedal that would help to reduce my problem without changing my chain too much? Could I put the volume after the compressor or the wah or the ts9?

Thanks for the help, and if I am completely wrong about all this, let me know. If I am just wrong please recommend a volume pedal that will not suck my tone.

• Members

yes I am using the tuner out. I thought the whole point of using that was so that I could get my tuner out of my chain because tuners suck tone, but now that I think of it, it kind of makes sense that if the signal is split between the tuner and the rest of the chain that could cause tone suckage too. Would I be better off with the tuner in the chain or using the tuner out?

• Members

yes I am using the tuner out.

Then I'd say that's your problem. The tuner out is simply a passive Y-split, which places the tuner's input stage in parallel to the input stage in the next pedal (same deal as in a non-TB Dunlop or Vox wah, for instance).

Basically, the input impedance of the tuner and ST-2 is placed in parallel, lowering the impedance the guitar "sees" to the point where you're starting to lose signal strength. And the treble region is the first to get affected, presenting itself as "tone sucking".

Also, if the Vox wah is not TB, that will be a second Y-split, lowering the input Z even further.

To get a tuner out of the chain, use a simple passive A/B box. Either that, or - if the tuner's buffer stages are good enough - run it in-line. I'd stick it first in line (before the volume pedal) and see if it sounds ok. If not, I'd simply get a properly wired A/B box to take it out of the chain when it's not being used.

/Andreas

• Members

Try to find out if it's a 25K or a 250K. If you're lucky enough and it's a 25K, then you can simply move it further along your signal chain, after the last buffered pedal before your amp. This way, you could still use the tuner-out of it, without a noticeable tone loss.

Archived